1. Being a virgin; chaste; of or pertaining to a virgin; becoming a virgin; maidenly; modest; indicating modesty; as, a virgin blush. Virgin shame. Innocence and virgin modesty . . . That would be wooed, and unsought be won. (milton)
3. Not yet pregnant; impregnant.
2. A person of the male sex who has not known sexual indulgence. These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. (rev. Xiv. 4) He his flesh hath overcome; He was a virgin, as he said. (Gower)
3. (Science: astronomy) See virgo.
5. (Science: zoology) A female insect producing eggs from which young are hatched, though there has been no fecundation by a male; a parthenogenetic insect. The Virgin, or The blessed Virgin, the Virgin Mary, the mother of our lord.
Origin: L. Virgo, -inis: cf. OF. Virgine, virgene, virge, vierge, F. Vierge.