noun, plural: transformations
(1) The act, state or process of changing, such as in form or structure; the conversion from one form to another.
(2) (biology) Any change in an organism that alters its general character and mode of life; post-natal biological transformation or metamorphosis.
(3) (genetics) The genetic alteration of a bacterial cell resulting from the transfer of foreign DNA.
(4) (physiology) The conversion of a normal cell into becoming malignant.
(5) (chemistry) The conversion of a substrate to a product omitting the reagents or catalysts.
Word origin: Latin trānsfōrmātiōn- (s. of trānsfōrmātiō) change of shape
Related forms: transformational (adjective)