noun, plural: salts
(1) A dietary mineral comprised of sodium and chloride, used in food seasoning, preserving meat, etc.
(2) The crystallized product of evaporation, especially of sea water.
(3) The neutral ionic compound formed by chemical combination of acid and base, or through neutralization.
(1) Of, relating to, tasting, or containing salt.
(2) Salty; saline.
(3) Growing to saline environment, as salt grass.
(1) To sprinkle, season or impregnate with salt (for flavouring, preserving or curing purposes).
Word origin: From Old English sealt
Related forms: salty, salted (adjective).