1. Moving or advancing by running. Specifically, of a horse; Having a running gait; not a trotter or pacer.
Trained and kept for running races; as, a running horse.
2. Successive; one following the other without break or intervention; said of periods of time; as, to be away two days running; to sow land two years running.
3. Flowing; easy; cursive; as, a running hand.
4. Continuous; keeping along step by step; as, he stated the facts with a running explanation. A running conquest. What are art and science if not a running commentary on Nature? (hare)
5. (Science: botany) Extending by a slender climbing or trailing stem; as, a running vine.
6. (Science: medicine) Discharging pus; as, a running sore.
(Science: medicine) Running block, the title of a book or chapter continued from page to page on the upper margin.