(1) The presence of or having distinct and opposite poles
(2) The condition of having contrasting properties or direction
(3) (chemistry) The tendency of forming distinctive opposing charges based on the orientation of chemical bonds and spatial structure of the molecule
(Chemistry) Polarity confers molecules and compounds distinctive features in terms of structure and chemical interaction with other molecules. Water is a polar molecule. Polarity enables water to interact with various compounds.
- polarity inside a dividing cell (during cell division)
- polarity in epithelial cell layer
- polarity of cells in a developing embryo (during embryogenesis)
- polarity of cells in axis formation