1. A soft cover of cylindrical form, usually of fur, worn by women to shield the hands from cold.
2. (Science: mechanics) A short hollow cylinder surrounding an object, as a pipe.
3. A blown cylinder of glass which is afterward flattened out to make a sheet.
4. [Perhaps a different word; cf. Prov. E. Maffle to slammer] A stupid fellow; a poor-spirited person. A muff of a curate.
5. [See 4.
A failure to hold a ball when once in the hands.
6. (Science: zoology) The whitethroat.
Origin: Cf. LG. Muff, D. Mof, G, Dan, & Sw. Muff, F. Moufle mitten, LL. Muffula, MHG. Mouwe sleeve, D. Mouw, and E. Muffle, v.