Dictionary » M » Methylated

Methylated

methylated

(Science: chemistry) Impregnated with, or containing, methyl alcohol or wood spirit; as, methylated spirits.


Please contribute to this project, if you have more information about this term feel free to edit this page



Results from our forum


Recombinant DNA not degraded inside transformed cells, why?

When a foreign DNA enters a bacterial cell, there is a race between methylases and restriction endonucleases. If the DNA is methylated as "self" before the corresponding endonuclease arrives, the DNA will not be sliced. I'm sure there is more to this story -- help out, anyone?

See entire post
by jonmoulton
Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:26 pm
 
Forum: Genetics
Topic: Recombinant DNA not degraded inside transformed cells, why?
Replies: 10
Views: 4701

DNA Methylation

Basically, it's when only one strand of double-stranded DNA is methylated. This one is good: http://jonfwilkins.blogspot.com/2011/02/genomic-imprinting-vi-hemimethylation.html

See entire post
by Cat
Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:05 am
 
Forum: Molecular Biology
Topic: DNA Methylation
Replies: 6
Views: 2817

Epigenetics and handling the results

But, how to handle for example 50% methylation? ….Maybe both alleles on both chromosomes are 25% methylated? If each had 25%, that would mean 25% in total :roll: If you get 50% methylated, one allele is methylated while other is not. How is this hard to understand?

See entire post
by JackBean
Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:24 am
 
Forum: Molecular Biology
Topic: Epigenetics and handling the results
Replies: 2
Views: 1221

Epigenetics and handling the results

... distinguish between the “imprinted” and “unimprinted” chromosome. Also, the rate of methylation at the imprinted chromosome can vary between 0 (unmethylated) and 100% (full-methylated) and is unknown to me. (for example: if the imprinted gene would ALWAYS be 100% (but for sure in fact it is not!), ...

See entire post
by peacounter
Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:53 pm
 
Forum: Molecular Biology
Topic: Epigenetics and handling the results
Replies: 2
Views: 1221

Re: DNA methylation

... the necessary capabilities. One of the similarities between eukaryotes and prokaryotes is that when DNA is copied, the new strand is temporarily unmethylated; this allows the repair mechanisms to identify which of the copies is the new one, and so mutations introduced at this stage are repaired ...

See entire post
by merv
Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:55 pm
 
Forum: Molecular Biology
Topic: DNA methylation
Replies: 2
Views: 6781
View all matching forum results

This page was last modified 21:16, 3 October 2005. This page has been accessed 2,968 times. 
What links here | Related changes | Permanent link