Origin: as. Maca, gemaca. See match.
1. To cause to exist; to bring into being; to form; to produce; to frame; to fashion; to create. Hence, in various specific uses or applications: to form of materials; to cause to exist in a certain form; to construct; to fabricate. He . . . Fashioned it with a graving tool, after he had made it a molten calf. (ex. Xxxii. 4)
to bring about; to bring forward; to be the cause or agent of; to effect, do, perform, or execute; often used with a noun to form a phrase equivalent to the simple verb that corresponds to such noun; as, to make complaint, for to complain; to make record of, for to record; to make abode, for to abide, etc. Call for samson, that he may make us sport. (Judg. Xvi. 25) Wealth maketh many friends. (Prov. Xix. 4) I will neither plead my age nor sickness in excuse of the faults which i have made. (Dryden)
to gain, as the result of one's efforts; to get, as profit; to make acquisition of; to have accrue or happen to one; as, to make a large profit; to make an error; to make a loss; to make money. He accuseth neptune unjustly who makes shipwreck a second time. (Bacon)
to find, as the result of calculation or computation; to ascertain by enumeration; to find the number or amount of, by reckoning, weighing, measurement, and the like; as, he made the distance of; to travel over; as, the ship makes ten knots an hour; he made the distance in one day.
2. To cause to be or become; to put into a given state verb, or adjective; to constitute; as, to make known; to make public; to make fast. Who made thee a prince and a judge over us? (ex. Ii. 14) See, i have made thee a god to pharaoh. (ex. Vii. 1)
When used reflexively with an adjective, the reflexive pronoun is often omitted; as, to make merry; to make bold; to make free, etc.
4. To require; to constrain; to compel; to force; to cause; to occasion; followed by a noun or pronoun and infinitive.
5. To become; to be, or to be capable of being, changed or fashioned into; to do the part or office of; to furnish the material for; as, he will make a good musician; sweet cider makes sour vinegar; wool makes warm clothing. And old cloak makes a new jerkin. (Shak)
7. To be engaged or concerned in. Gomez, what makest thou here, with a whole brotherhood of city bailiffs? (Dryden)
8. To reach; to attain; to arrive at or in sight of. And make the Libyan shores. They that sail in the middle can make no land of either side. (Sir t. Browne) to make a bed, to prepare a bed for being slept on, or to put it in order. To make a card, to take a trick with it. To make account. See Account, to make account of, to esteem; to regard. To make away. To put out of the way; to kill; to destroy. If a child were crooked or deformed in body or mind, they made him away. (Burton) to alienate; to transfer; to make over. To make believe, to pretend; to feign; to simulate. To make bold, to take the liberty; to venture. To make the cards, to fail to appear or answer. To make the doors, to shut the door. Make the doors upon a woman's wit, and it will out at the casement. (Shak) - to make free with. See free, to make good. See good. To make head, to make headway. To make light of. See light, to make little of. To belittle. To accomplish easily. To make love to. See love, to make meat, to cure meat in the open air. To make merry, to feast; to be joyful or jovial. To make much of, to treat with much consideration, attention, or fondness; to value highly. To make no bones. See bone, to make no difference, to have no weight or influence; to be a matter of indifference. To make no doubt, to have no doubt. To make no matter, to have no weight or importance; to make no difference. To make oath, to swear, as to the truth of something, in a prescribed form of law. To make of. To understand or think concerning; as, not to know what to make of the news. To pay attention to; to cherish; to esteem; to account. Makes she no more of me than of a slave. . To make one's law to increase the quantity of sail 1000 already extended. To set sail. To make shift, to manage by expedients; as, they made shift to do without it. To make sternway, to move with the stern foremost; to go or drift backward. To make strange, to act in an unfriendly manner or as if surprised; to treat as strange; as, to make strange of a request or suggestion. To make suit to, to endeavor to gain the favor of; to court. To make sure. See Sure. To make up. To collect into a sum or mass; as, to make up the amount of rent; to make up a bundle or package. To reconcile; to compose; as, to make up a difference or quarrel. To supply what is wanting in; to complete; as, a dollar is wanted to make up the stipulated sum. To compose, as from ingredients or parts; to shape, prepare, or fabricate; as, to make up a mass into pills; to make up a story. He was all made up of love and charms! (Addison) to compensate; to make good; as, to make up a loss. To adjust, or to arrange for settlement; as, to make up accounts. To dress and paint for a part, as an actor; as, he was well made up. To make up a face, to distort the face as an expression of pain or derision. To make up one's mind, to reach a mental determination; to resolve. To make water.
2. To proceed; to tend; to move; to go; as, he made toward home; the tiger made at the sportsmen.
3. To tend; to contribute; to have effect; with for or against; as, it makes for his advantage. Follow after the things which make for peace. (Rom. Xiv. 19) Considerations infinite Do make against it. (Shak)
4. To increase; to augment; to accrue.
5. To compose verses; to write poetry; to versify. To solace him some time, as i do when i make. (P. Plowman) to make as if, or to make as though, to pretend that; to make show that; to make believe (see under make,). Joshua and all Israel made as if they were beaten before them, and fled. (Josh. Viii. 15) My lord of london maketh as though he were greatly displeased with me. (Latimer) to make at, to go toward hastily, or in a hostile manner; to attack. To make away with. To carry off. To transfer or alienate; hence, to spend; to dissipate. To kill; to destroy. To make off, to go away suddenly. To make out, to succeed; to be able at last; to make shift; as, he made out to reconcile the contending parties. To make up, to become reconciled or friendly. To make up for, to compensate for; to supply an equivalent for. To make up to. To approach; as, a suspicious boat made up to us. To pay addresses to; to make love to. To make up with, to become reconciled to. To make with, to concur or agree with.
Results from our forum
... it's the best antihistamine to reduce itching. A prescription kenalog cream is helping to calm down the angry rash these things caused, but i make sure to combine it with the permethrin so something is able to fight the parasite. I chose ivermectin b/c it's used to treat parasitic infections ...
See entire post
... along with Canada goose maintain good for your health heat and dry, additionally the a tasteful coyote locks receiver. Then it is mid-thigh range make sure to encompasses most of your organ. canada goose boxing day toronto employee discount canada goose canada goose the kensington canada goose ...
See entire post
... uncomfortable an individual. You are able to play computer games or purchase in the supermarkets because the two regarding things can certainly make you property. canada goose kensington parka youth sale canada goose yorkville parka review canada goose yorkdale mall canada goose expedition ebay ...
See entire post
... very different species of geese are viewed to have evolved throughout the Hawaiian Islands, eight of it flightless. These Nene is associated to make sure you children that includes swans, racing ducks, and typical geese. Its closest relative typically is the Canada Goose (Branta Canadensis), ...
See entire post
... winter season coats are usually for skiing, hiking or simply just taking pleasure within the fantastic outdoors. Therefore many quite a few sorts, makes and colors, you cannot miss with any because of these goods. canada goose trillium parka women usa canada goose flying upside down burlington ...
See entire post