1. Consisting of hazels, or of the wood of the hazel; pertaining to, or derived from, the hazel; as, a hazel wand. I sit me down beside the hazel grove. (Keble)
2. Of a light brown colour, like the hazelnut. Thou hast hazel eyes.
3. (Science: botany) a shrub or small tree of the genus Corylus, as the c. Avellana, bearing a nut containing a kernel of a mild, farinaceous taste; the filbert. The American species are c. Americana, which produces the common hazelnut, and c. Rostrata. See filbert.
4. A miners name for freestone. Hazel earth, soil suitable for the hazel; a fertile loam.
5. (Science: ornithology) hazel grouse, a European grouse (Bonasa betulina), allied to the American ruffed grouse. Hazel hoe, a kind of grub hoe. Witch hazel. See witch-hazel, and hamamelis.
Origin: oe. Hasel, as. Haesel; akin to D. Hazelaar, g. Hazel, OHG. Hasal, hasala, Icel. Hasl, dan & Sw. Hassel, L. Corylus, for cosylus.