1. Possessing desirable qualities; adapted to answer the end designed; promoting success, welfare, or happiness; serviceable; useful; fit; excellent; admirable; commendable; not bad, corrupt, evil, noxious, offensive, or troublesome, etc. And god saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good. (gen. I. 31) Good company, good wine, good welcome. (Shak)
4. Serviceable; suited; adapted; suitable; of use; to be relied upon; followed especially by for. All quality that is good for anything is founded originally in merit. (Collier)
5. Clever; skillful; dexterous; ready; handy; followed especially by at. He . . . Is a good workman; a very good tailor. (Shak) Those are generally good at flattering who are good for nothing else. (South)
6. Adequate; sufficient; competent; sound; not fallacious; valid; in a commercial sense, to be depended on for the discharge of obligations incurred; having pecuniary ability; of unimpaired credit. My reasons are both good and weighty. (Shak) My meaning in saying he is a good man is . . . That he is sufficient . . . I think i may take his bond. (Shak)
10. Not blemished or impeached; fair; honorable; unsullied; as in the phrases a good name, a good report, good repute, etc. A good name is better than precious ointment. (Eccl. Vii. 1) as good as. See as. For good, or For good and all, completely and finally; fully; truly. The good woman never died after this, till she came to die for good and all. (L'Estrange) good breeding, polite or polished manners, formed by education; a polite education. Distinguished by good humor and good breeding. (Macaulay) good cheap, literally, good bargain; reasonably cheap. Good consideration . A consideration of blood or of natural love and affection. A valuable consideration, or one which will sustain a contract. Good fellow, a person of companionable qualities. Good folk, or good people, fairies; brownies; pixies, etc. Good for nothing. Of no value; useless; worthless. Used substantively, an idle, worthless person. My father always said i was born to be a good for nothing. (ld. Lytton) good Friday, the Friday of holy Week, kept in some churches as a fast, in memoory of our Savior's passion or suffering; the anniversary of the crucifixion. Good humor, or good-humor, a cheerful or pleasant temper or state of mind. Good nature, or good-nature, habitual kindness or mildness of temper or disposition; amiability; state of being in good humor. The good nature and generosity which belonged to his character. (Macaulay) The young counts good nature and easy persuadability were among his best characteristics. (Hawthorne) good people. See good folk (above). Good speed, good luck; good success; godspeed; an old form of wishing success. See speed. Good turn, an 1000 act of kidness; a favor. Good will. Benevolence; well wishing; kindly feeling.
The custom of any trade or business; the tendency or inclination of persons, old customers and others, to resort to an established place of business; the advantage accruing from tendency or inclination. The good will of a trade is nothing more than the probability that the old customers will resort to the old place. (lord Eldon) in good time. Promptly; punctually; opportunely; not too soon nor too late.
Correctly; in proper time. To hold good, to remain true or valid; to be operative; to remain in force or effect; as, his promise holds good; the condition still holds good. To make good, to fulfill; to establish; to maintain; to supply (a defect or deficiency); to indemmify; to prove or verify (an accusation); to prove to be blameless; to clear; to vindicate. Each word made good and true. (Shak) Of no power to make his wishes good. (Shak) I . . . Would by combat make her good. (Shak) Convenient numbers to make good the city. (Shak) to think good, to approve; to be pleased or satisfied with; to consider expedient or proper. If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. (Zech. Xi. 12)
Origin: Better; best . These words, though used as the comparative and superlative of good, are from a different root] [AS. God, akin to D. Goed, os. God, OHG. Guot, g. Gut, Icel. Gothr, Sw. & dan. God, goth. Gods; prob. Orig, fitting, belonging together, and akin to E. Gather. Cf. Gather.
well, especially in the phrase as good, with a following as expressed or implied; equally well with as much advantage or as little harm as possible. As good almost kill a man as kill a good book. (Milton) as good as, in effect; virtually; the same as. They who counsel ye to such a suppressing, do as good as bid ye suppress yourselves. (Milton)
Results from our forum
... Didn't you read the complete post????? The post makes it very clear that I am referring to Industrial Activity for production of consumer goods and services........I am not referring to industrial activity for production of food, clothing and shelter.
See entire post
... things that are destroying environment. At present we are destroying environment for Food, Clothing, Shelter plus Thousands of Industrial consumer goods and services. We must eliminate the things that were added last to the list......which means Thousands of consumer goods and services, most of ...
See entire post
... Industrial Society has been destroying Extra environment for 250 years........It has been destroying environment for "thousands of consumer goods and services" in addition to food, clothing and shelter. You cannot save a person after killing him.......You cannot save environment after ...
See entire post
... dispose of them after a year or so they are full of poisons and far more bulky than the old ones. animartco, You are right. When we make consumer goods we destroy environment.....when we make consumer goods we destroy animals, trees, air, water and land....directly or indirectly. Environment cannot ...
See entire post
... not enough land for all people to plough. And if we continue with the present city based lifestyle we will continue making thousands of consumer goods - completly destroying the environment. Science and technology has given us vaccines that have cured many diseases caused by virus and bacteria ...
See entire post