Dictionary » F » Flageolet



a small wooden pipe, having six or more holes, and a mouthpiece inserted at one end. It produces a shrill sound, softer than of the piccolo flute, and is said to have superseded the old recorder. Flageolet tones, the naturel harmonics or overtones of stringed instruments.

Origin: f. Flageolet, dim. Of OF. Flajl (as if fr. A LL. Flautio;us), of flaute, flahute, f. Flte. See Flute.

Please contribute to this project, if you have more information about this term feel free to edit this page

This page was last modified 21:16, 3 October 2005. This page has been accessed 963 times. 
What links here | Related changes | Permanent link