1. The action of discovering; exposure to view; laying open; showing; as, the discovery of a plot.
2. A making known; revelation; disclosure; as, a bankrupt is bound to make a full discovery of his assets. In the clear discoveries of the next [world] (South)
3. Finding out or ascertaining something previously unknown or unrecognised; as, Harvey's discovery of the circulation of the blood. A brilliant career of discovery and conquest. (Prescott) We speak of the invention of printing, the discovery of America. (Trench)
4. That which is discovered; a thing found out, or for the first time ascertained or recognised; as, the properties of the magnet were an important discovery.
5. Exploration; examination.