noun, singular: cyanobacterium
A group of prokaryotes that are characterized by the following general features:
- predominantly photosynthetic, i.e. chlorophyll on intracytoplasmic membranes are present and involved in photosynthesis
- blue-green in colour due to the presence of phycobiliproteins.
- occurring singly (unicellular) or in colonies (filamentous, e.g. Anabaena sp.)
- heterocysts capable of nitrogen fixation
- nonmotile or by gliding motility
- reproduce by binary fission
Word origin: Greek (kyanós) = blue
Also called: blue-green algae or blue-green bacteria.
Please contribute to this project, if you have more information about this term feel free to edit this page.