(Science: anatomy, ophthalmology) The transparent structure forming the anterior part of the fibrous tunic of the eye. It consists of five layers:
1. The anterior corneal epithelium, continuous with that of the conjunctiva.
2. The anterior limiting layer (Bowman's membrane).
3. The substantia propria or stroma.
4. The posterior limiting layer (Descemet's membrane).
5. The endothelium of the anterior chamber.
Origin: L. Corneus = horny
Transparent anterior portion of the outer covering of the eye; it covers the lens and iris and is continuous with the sclera.Found on the exterior of the eye where light is able to pass through this epithelial tissue called the cornea. The light that enters the eye is then focused on to the [[retina.