- the wings of bats, birds, and insects evolved independently from each other but all are used to perform the function of flying
- the complex eyes of vertebrates, cephalopods (squid and octopus), cubozoan jellyfish, and arthropods (insects, spiders, crustaceans) evolved separately, but all perform the function of vision
- the smelling organs of the terrestrial coconut crab are similar to those of insects
- the very similar shells of brachiopods and bivalve molluscs
- prickles, thorns and spines have evolved independently to prevent or limit herbivory
- plant hormones such as gibberellin and abscisic acid of plants and fungi
Compare: divergent evolution.
Please contribute to this project, if you have more information about this term feel free to edit this page.