Cell theory states that:
- All known living things are made up of cells.
- The cell is structural & functional unit of all living things.
- All cells come from pre-existing cells by division, (i.e. Spontaneous generation does not occur).
- Cells contain hereditary information which is passed from cell to cell during cell division.
- All cells are basically the same in chemical composition.
- All energy Flow (metabolism & biochemistry) of life occurs within cells.
This is a picture of an Allium cell demonstrating cell division, as described in the cell theory.