1. (Science: zoology) a small kind of whale, of the genus Globicephalus, of several species. The most common is g. Melas. Also sometimes applied to other whales of larger size.
2. (Science: zoology) The tautog of new England (Tautoga).
3. (Science: zoology) The black sea bass (Centropristis atrarius) of the atlantic coast. It is excellent food fish; locally called also black Harry.
4. (Science: zoology) a fish of southern Europe (Centrolophus pompilus) of the mackerel family.
5. (Science: zoology) The female salmon in the spawning season.
The name is locally applied to other fishes.