1. In a state of rest or calm; without stir, motion, or agitation; still; as, a quiet sea; quiet air. They . . . Were quiet all the night, saying, In the morning, when it is day, we shall kill him. (Judg. Xvi. 2)
2. Free from noise or disturbance; hushed; still.
3. Not excited or anxious; calm; peaceful; placid; settled; as, a quiet life; a quiet conscience. So quiet and so sweet a style. That son, who on the quiet state of man Such trouble brought. (milton)
4. Not giving offense; not exciting disorder or trouble; not turbulent; gentle; mild; meek; contented. The ornament of a meek and quiet spirit. (1 pet. Iii. 4) I will sit as quiet as a lamb. (Shak)
5. Not showy; not such as to attract attention; undemonstrative; as, a quiet dress; quiet colours; a quiet movement.
Synonym: still, tranquil, calm, unruffled, smooth, unmolested, undisturbed, placid, peaceful, mild, peaceable, meek, contented.
Origin: L. Quietus, p. P. Pf quiescere to rest, keep quiet; akin to quies rest, and prob. To E. While, n. See While, and cf. Coy, Quiesce, Quietus, Quit, Quite, Requiem.