1. Same as palette.
2. A wooden implement used by potters, crucible makers, etc, for forming, beating, and rounding their works. It is oval, round, and of other forms. A potter's wheel.
3. An instrument used to take up gold leaf from the pillow, and to apply it. A tool for gilding the backs of books over the bands.
4. A board on which a newly molded brick is conveyed to the hack.
5. (Science: machinery) A click or pawl for driving a ratchet wheel. One of the series of disks or pistons in the chain pump.
6. One of the pieces or levers connected with the pendulum of a clock, or the balance of a watch, which receive the immediate impulse of the scape-wheel, or balance wheel.
7. In the organ, a valve between the wind chest and the mouth of a pipe or row of pipes.
8. (Science: zoology) One of a pair of shelly plates that protect the siphon tubes of certain bivalves, as the teredo.
9. A cup containing three ounces, ormerly used by surgeons.
Origin: F. Palette: af. It. Paletta; prop. And orig, a fire shovel, dim. Of L. Pala a shovel, spade. See Peel a shovel.