1. The act or state of one who, or that which, heads; formation of a head.
2. That which stands at the head; title; as, the heading of a paper.
3. Material for the heads of casks, barrels, etc.
4. (Science: chemical) a gallery, drift, or adit in a mine; also, the end of a drift or gallery; the vein above a drift.
5. The extension of a line ruffling above the line of stitch.
6. That end of a stone or brick which is presented outward. Heading course a joint between two roussoirs in the same course.