Revision as of 21:16, 3 October 2005 by WikiConvertor (Talk)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)


The vertical triangular portion of the end of a building, from the level of the cornice or eaves to the ridge of the roof. Also, a similar end when not triangular in shape, as of a gambrel roof and the like. Hence:

The end wall of a building, as distinguished from the front or rear side.

a decorative member having the shape of a triangular gable, such as that above a gothic arch in a doorway. Bell gable. See bell. Gable roof, a double sloping roof which forms a gable at each end. Gable wall. Same as gable . Gable window, a window in a gable.

Origin: oe. Gable, gabil, f. Gable, fr. LL. Gabalum front of a building, prob. Of german or Scand. Origin; cf. OHG. Gibil, g. Giebel gable, Icel. Gafl, goth. Gibla pinnacle; perh. Akin to gr. Head, and E. Cephalic, or to g. Gabel fork, as. Geafl, E. Gaffle, L. Gabalus a kind of gallows.

Retrieved from ""
First | Previous (Gabions) | Next (Gad) | Last
Please contribute to this project, if you have more information about this term feel free to edit this page.