Revision as of 13:52, 19 October 2009 by Honee_v (updated)
noun, plural: blue-green bacteria
Any of the prokaryotes characterized by having the following general features:
- primarily photosynthetic, i.e. chlorophyll on intracytoplasmic membranes are present and involved in photosynthesis
- blue-green in colour due to the presence of phycobiliproteins.
- occurring singly (unicellular) or in colonies (filamentous, e.g. Anabaena sp.)
- heterocysts capable of nitrogen fixation
- nonmotile or by gliding motility
- reproduce by binary fission
Also called: blue-green alga or cyanobacterium.
Please contribute to this project, if you have more information about this term feel free to edit this page.