1. Produced by abortion; born prematurely; as, an abortive child.
2. Made from the skin of a still-born animal; as, abortive vellum.
3. Rendering fruitless or ineffectual. Plunged in that abortive gulf.
4. Coming to naught; failing in its effect; miscarrying; fruitless; unsuccessful; as, an abortive attempt. An abortive enterprise.
5. (Science: biology) Imperfectly formed or developed; rudimentary; sterile; as, an abortive organ, stamen, ovule, etc.
6. (Science: medicine) Causing abortion; as, abortive medicines. Cutting short; as, abortive treatment of typhoid fever.
Origin: L. Abortivus, fr. Aboriri. See Abort.
1. That which is born or brought forth prematurely; an abortion.
2. A fruitless effort or issue.
3. A medicine to which is attributed the property of causing abortion.