Login

Join for Free!
118307 members

Stem cell research

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderator: BioTeam

Stem cell research

Postby Freedom » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:11 pm

What does everyone think of embryonic stem cell research?
"Always remember that you are unique. . . just like everybody else."
Freedom
Garter
Garter

Interesting, but...

Postby Arsonus » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:55 am

I believe that it comes close to crossing the line to ammoral. When one uses only embryos "left over" from, say, impotence concieving (I can't think of the correct term, but, you know, the things where one or the other person is impotent, and they get sperm and eggs, and, ya know the two cells do their stuff), it's all right. But, producing it for the purpose just of researching... That's like abortion, that is.
Arsonus
Garter
Garter

Postby BioBoy » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:51 am

I think that research itself is harmless - it's any use of such research results that should be debated...
BioBoy
Garter
Garter

Postby biostudent84 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:08 am

I think that it should be left up to the patients. I mean, isn't it wrong to deny a patient any medical procedure? My personal thought is that stem cells should only be used to save lives...not to simply improve the human body. I could accept destroying potentiallife to save a relative's, but I think it would be wrong to do so to regrow nerve tissue so someone could walk. They can live without their legs, right? It's a pro/con type deal.

I am actually writing out a research/argumentative paper. If anyone wants me to post it somewhere when I am through, I would do so.
biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Arsonus » Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:19 am

So, do you think that abortion is one of those medical procedures? That's the problem, you see. You can't say that any medical procedure should be grantable; that opens the door to all sorts of things.
Arsonus
Garter
Garter

Postby biostudent84 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:51 am

Like I said...leave it up to each individual patient. Regardless of your or my beliefs, it is not the same as everyone else's. Please read my previous post again carefully. There are pros and cons to each side of any argument. Also remember that in stem cells, most are obtained from unviable embryos.

Also remember where you are, and who you are posting to. No good scientist would EVER address the good/evil argument. It is not our place. We present the facts of what we can learn how to do to benefit someone. The people must decide. If they decide to allow stem cells to be used, blame them.

Want my opinion? Ok. I am in school to become a doctor. I would prefer NOT to say to one of my patients, "I'm sorry, I am not allowed to save your life because someone else said that an unused embryo is more important than you."
biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stem Cell Research a plus to society

Postby sarabeth86 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:20 pm

Stem cell research is looked down upon by so many people. I don't seem to see why exactly that is. Sure, people find it to be immoral to use embryonic stem cells, but why? What if a mother were to abort her child and had no other use for the fetus? Why couldn't scientists use that aborted fetus to further the scientific world of today and possibly help those people that are in need of the research to better their lives? That doesn't make sense to me, but I'm trying to preach to people anyway. I have been working on a paper for my english class and a debate for my government class ont he subject of stem cell research. While doing the research for both assignments, I have begun to really understand the basics of stem cell research and what all it can do for the human race. I find the subject amazing and while I'm not too good at cell biology, I am really interested in the subject of stem cell research. I am going into Zoology and planning to go to medical school with it to either become a pediatric oncologist or a pathologist and I just find it amazing as to what stem cells can do for the body and what stem cell research can do to help the human race! What does everyone else think?

SaraBeth86
sarabeth86
Garter
Garter

Postby biostudent84 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:38 pm

Sarabeth, you are absolutely right. The reason that people look down apon stem cell research because to obtain the stem cells, the embryo must be destroyed. While it is true that MOST embryonic stem cells are obtained from aborted fetuses, there still is resistance to this. The reason for this is that those opposing to make abortions illegal do NOT want these stem cells used. Why? Because it is "a consolation to abortions, making something good come out of evil." The argument to keep abortions legal now includes the fact that an abortion potentially could save lives.

As a pre-med student, I've been working my undergrad degree almost exclusively in the field of ESC's.
biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stem Cell Research Cont.

Postby sarabeth86 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:06 pm

I agree with you. It's not like the scientists are making people get abortions, but if someone happens to get an abortion, why not make something good come out of it? No need to just throw the fetus away...use it for science...it really isn't doing anything wrong in the whole situation. The abortion process is bad, but taking those fetuses and trying to further science is not...people need to understand all of this!

SaraBeth
sarabeth86
Garter
Garter

Postby biostudent84 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:37 am

I'm working on a paper that's due tomorrow...when I get it done, hopefully I'll be able to post it on the website.
biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interesting . ..

Postby Thenewguy » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:29 am

I had no idea that stem cells came from a fetus (call me ignorant, I'm new) can someone tell me at what stage the fetus no longer has stem cells that researchers can utilize??
Thenewguy
Garter
Garter

Postby biostudent84 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:09 am

When all tissues of the fetus are done forming...there is no set stage where this happens...just the older the child becomes, the less stem cells there are.
biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Cell Biology