Why do people still insist that cats are domesticated?

Animals!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

joemasters
Garter
Garter

Why do people still insist that cats are domesticated?

Post by joemasters » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:08 pm

The house cat is NOT domesticated and it drives me nuts when people say they are. They are semi-domesticated at best. The reason this makes me bad is because having people believe house cats are domesticates makes some people believe they can own larger cats. If every larger cat acted like my small house cat, then a lot more people would own them but cats are very diverse in nature and most enjoy rough playing.

Inyati
Garter
Garter

Re: Why do people still insist that cats are domesticated?

Post by Inyati » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:34 pm

Strictly adhering to the definition of "domesticated ", it is appropriate to declare the "domesticated" house cat as "domesticated". Domesticated implies that the animal is maintained under at least the partial care and oversight of a human as a "pet" or to serve a need such as milk, meat, draft, etc.
My home is my Castle, My farm is my Kingdom.

xtempore
Garter
Garter

Re: Why do people still insist that cats are domesticated?

Post by xtempore » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:27 am

Like a lot of words, "domesticated", has different meanings.

One is the common usage, which is often used to mean "tame" or "manageable".

Then there's the scientific meaning. Since this is a biology forum it's appropriate to use the scientific meaning...
Domestication is a sustained multi-generational relationship in which one group of organisms assumes a significant degree of influence over the reproduction and care of another group to secure a more predictable supply of resources from that second group.

From a scientific perspective, the house cat is a domesticated species. They are different from their wild ancestors, with genetic differences that have come as the result of selective breeding.

So people who insist that cats are domesticated are right from a scientific perspective.