Login

Join for Free!
114119 members


Agrobacteria

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderator: BioTeam

Agrobacteria

Postby amandazzle » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:16 pm

I recently did an electroporation on agrobacteria. The construct had two inserts that I screened for using colony PCR. Unfortunately, the PCR indicated that while the original plasmid had both inserts, the agro contained only one. I repeated the entire process and the results were the same. What is going on here? Has this happened to anyone else? Could this have anything to do with the strain (LBA4404) of agro used? Could this be a "false" negative in the PCR?
Last edited by amandazzle on Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
amandazzle
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:09 pm

Postby canalon » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:25 am

Well I don,t know your PCR setup, but if I suppose that your positive control was correct (Hence the problem is not in the PCR mix) and that you amplified the same template in both PCR (and then you do not have an extraction problem) we must assume that there is something wrong with your template. But I have no Idea what it can be.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)
User avatar
canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
 
Posts: 3909
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:46 pm
Location: Canada

Postby amandazzle » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:31 am

Both the positive and negative controls were fine. The PCR was not a multiplex, so I just ran each set of primers individually on the colonies.

I work in Brassica transformation and cell biology, so I don't design the constructs, I only verify them either with a digest or with PCR before transformation. I have considered carrying out the transformation on the plants to see if the gene will be present, but wanted to find out if there was any other troubleshooting I could do before declaring defeat or wasting my time.

Is there any chance that only one insert is present? I can't think of how that would happen. I am leaning towards a false negative.
amandazzle
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:09 pm


Re: Agrobacteria

Postby samuelmain » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:46 pm

Hi,
I will tell you my experience : I used to test my colonies by a single PCR, but i had too much troubles with false positives. Now, what i do is 1) colony test by PCR 2)mini-cultures of 3 to 6 positive clones 3)miniprep and restriction analysis (more time consuming, but much more informative) and 4)transformation with those which are still positive. Now, no problems. Try this procedure, you might be surprised by the results of the restriction screen.
And tell me your results (good or bad)!
Good luck and be brave,
sam

ps : please excuse the poor quality of my english. Tell me if there is anything you don't understand.
samuelmain
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:41 pm


Return to Molecular Biology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron