Login

Join for Free!
118315 members


Immortality? Possibility?

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderator: BioTeam

Postby Oscerot » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:56 am

Yes, but in our world, money is responsible for the discoveries.

:lol:
User avatar
Oscerot
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:21 am

Postby Schröder » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:19 am

Oscerot wrote:Yes, but in our world, money is responsible for the discoveries.

:lol:


Unfortunately.....
There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one from so simple a beginning.....The Origin of Species
User avatar
Schröder
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:25 pm
Location: Trinidad and Tobago

Postby Enzyme » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:52 am

Oscerot wrote:Yes, but in our world, money is responsible for the discoveries.

:lol:


Unfortunately (as our friend Schröder says). Curiosity should move discoveries (research in general), not money.
    Image
    Image
    Image
User avatar
Enzyme
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:05 pm


Postby baikuza » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:03 am

as i know it is impossible to make a living thing to be immortal.
in my point of view, living thing will be die. nothing is immortal. even we use hi-tech. we still cannot live forever.

why i said this?
because it is a cycle of life. if something is arise to be alive, then someday it will disappear from that world. especially if it has the physical shape like us. then it said that many things like telomerase, ect... influence the life span. but, all of thing on this world is just energy, energy that take physical shape.. (in the point of a biologist).. and energy never stay at one shape if it take some/an activity. so, simply.. if we do not want to die just do not do anything. but, because we now is alive and alive defined when we do metabolism.. which is activity.. then we will die someday...

my friend read a book about this topic, and in the book.. it said that we can lenghten our life span, but as the consequence is our cells become a cancer cells.

we have time because we are alive, and time is a precious thing we have... so utilize it wisely. (^_^)
baikuza
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:09 am
Location: Yogyakarta, indonesia, south-east asia

Postby Enzyme » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:10 am

_at_ baikuza: I agree with you in that living beings have to die to complete the nature cycle. This is a natural process and it has to occur to be in balance with nature.

But, if we can locate genes which produce certain diseases, which control ageing and development and which regulate the expresion of certain characters... Why couldn't we manipulate them to avoid physiological processes?

The premise of Genetic Engineering is that the genetic information encoded in DNA is a great resource which can be manipulated to obtain certain objectives in science (microbian production of molecules like antibiotics and others, transgenic plants and animals, new diagnostics, etc).

Nowadays we don't know how to make the most of the possibilities of this great advance but, in the future? Inmortality is a difficult goal to reach (at least in our time), but I think that in a further future mankind will discover the way to increase life expectancy a lot.
    Image
    Image
    Image
User avatar
Enzyme
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:05 pm

Postby baikuza » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:56 pm

:) . that will be great. many people will cure by that if we can destroy the cell that's sick of disease(s), and can buy some time for the one who have a short age from the diagnostic at hospital.

but, do not said that it will manipulate human genes. :? i kinda disagree with it.. but, it is different if the object want it...
baikuza
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:09 am
Location: Yogyakarta, indonesia, south-east asia

Postby Enzyme » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:15 pm

baikuza wrote:but, do not said that it will manipulate human genes. :? i kinda disagree with it.. but, it is different if the object want it...


I think that if the manipulation (treatment, operation, handle or as you want to call it) is for avoiding diseases, to cure cancers or to proliferate cells to obtain a tissue or an organ (I mean, to make better our society), I'm totally in agree. But, I disagree the manipulation for stupid militar experiments and that kind of things :?.
    Image
    Image
    Image
User avatar
Enzyme
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:05 pm

Postby Oscerot » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:06 pm

Unlike me who is totally interested in incorporating certain animal genes into our genomes. :lol:
User avatar
Oscerot
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:21 am

Postby Enzyme » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:14 pm

Oscerot wrote:Unlike me who is totally interested in incorporating certain animal genes into our genomes. :lol:


If those genes make a benefit in humans... ;)
    Image
    Image
    Image
User avatar
Enzyme
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:05 pm

Postby sachin » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:49 pm

Of course those will be, except some mutations...
Senior Education Officer, BNHS, India. www.bnhs.org

Bitter Truth!
Who says reason for world war IV will be Petrol?
Reason lies in two words "Me and Mine".
User avatar
sachin
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 1517
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:39 pm
Location: MUMBAI / INDIA

Postby Enzyme » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:50 pm

sachin_at_biog wrote:except some mutations...


Casualities of life, he he ;). You know the environment is an important factor...
    Image
    Image
    Image
User avatar
Enzyme
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:05 pm

Postby sachin » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:53 pm

Ya, I know....Then???
Senior Education Officer, BNHS, India. www.bnhs.org

Bitter Truth!
Who says reason for world war IV will be Petrol?
Reason lies in two words "Me and Mine".
User avatar
sachin
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 1517
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:39 pm
Location: MUMBAI / INDIA

PreviousNext

Return to Genetics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest