This is quite interesting topic but I don't have any idea how to carry it out. Is this to be something like an experiment, so you have to get a set of groups as controll group etc. I mean, do you have any idea how to measure the rate of transpiration? I know it is easy to observe such changes in water plants as waterweed (Elodea canadensis), but it has nothing in common with wind, hasn't it.
The other thing is that xerophytes offen have trichomes which prevent water from escaping from the chamber (I don't know exactly how it is called in English) present below the leaf surface. Then the wind have minor impact on transpiration process, hasn't it.
The one thing I am sure is that the wind increases the rate of transpiration (and it is event logical why).
Im using wild privet and cherry laurel. The cactus thing is a good idea only then you've got a new factor introduced- surface area. Makes things too complicated! At least with those two their surface area is relatively similar!
Hope this was of some use..?
hey there! i am doing the same for my practical exam, and we were told today that you don't actually need to name any plants at all - just describe (great quotes can be found on wikipedia, search xerophytes, in Biology1 textbook, or Advanced Biology, by Mary Jones and Geoff Jones). it kinda annoyed me as i'd spent half the lesson researching plants (am not a natural gardener!) if you can quote the typical adaptations of the xerophyte, and put how these prevent transpiration (scientifically) and compare it to the transpiration process in a 'normal' plant, that should be what you need! good luck for tuesday!
Hey! I'm using a potometer to measure WATER UPTAKE and not transpiration cos that is nearly impossible! water uptake has a very close relationship with it though so you can get in some pretty pie charts and stuff! just mention that 98% of water uptake is 'lost' via transpiration although the other 2% is used in photosynthesis and stuff!
Uff. I was considering measuring the water uptake but I didn't know what device is used for that purpose.
In secondary school I was quite weak at planning experiments but I hope I will learn such things till third year
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests