Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.
12 posts • Page 1 of 1
Yes, the sequence is the same.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter
no not true
--> there are chimeras and mosaics with different DNA-sequences due to chromosome abnormalities and beside that, somatic mutations can occur.
Also maternal chromosomes can differ in repetitive non-coding DNA from the paernal chromosomes (via a few mechanisms)
Ok let me be specific.... Wether the DNA sequence is same for all cells in Humans (Homo sapiens) ? Im asking this question because during cell multiplication by mitosis a process called crossing over takes place between two non sister chromatids....so is there is chance that the sequence may change ?
That only happens in gametes in the process called meiosis, not mitosis. You got the two confused. So these gamates have different DNA sequences for that reason, also because mutation can also occur and the reason I stated above. Also mutation can happen in somatic cells (non-gametes) which can lead to cancer.
That's Miss Sepals. Yes all gamates are unique not just because of crossing over,which I think always happens with most chromsomes, but also because of the reassortment of chromosomes that happens when these line up the second time (anaphase II) before the cell split into what becomes gamates. Here by the maternal and paternal chromosomes line up in the centre of the spindle to spilt and the order and side these line up is simply by chance. You should look up meiosis to get more detail. Here could be enough info if not it's also avaliable in many other sources.
The specific mechanism for that reassortment is called "independant assortment", and that along with crossing over lead the odds of producing identical gametes in the billions, if not trillions.
However, somatic cells are basically the same (there are exceptions, but they are just that). The functional unit is generally identical (again, there are some exceptions). But on a teleomeric segment mutations are basically irrelevant, so you have a smaller portion of DNA variety to worry about.
only 1% (approximately) of the human genome codes for proteins, RNA, etc. the other 99% is non-coding, and the same for all beings. It is the variability in that 1 percent that leads to variations in the phenotype of an individual. Also, there is a small degree of crossing over that takes place in mitosis, but it is very insignificant.
Yes, i remember a genetics professor saying that if one person has eyes of different colors, that is the result of mitotic crossing-over. Never made much sense to me though...
12 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests