Login

Join for Free!
116966 members


problems on Ecology

Discussion of the distribution and abundance of living organisms and how these properties are affected by interactions between the organisms and their environment

Moderator: BioTeam

problems on Ecology

Postby Alteisen » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:08 pm

I don't know what is Ecological Pyramids, why energy is loss when one animal eat another one.
And what is the highest limited of trophic level?
Alteisen
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:02 pm

Postby Navin » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:00 am

There can only be up to 5 trophic levels in a food chain as there is insufficient energy to support any highr than that. This is because only 10% of the energy in one trophic level gets passed on to the next. The other 90% has been lost as heat or used for metabolic purposes.
Botany is the study of what? Bottoms!
User avatar
Navin
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:23 pm
Location: Singapore (Asia Pacific)

Postby chetanladdha » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:49 pm

Navin wrote:There can only be up to 5 trophic levels in a food chain as there is insufficient energy to support any highr than that. This is because only 10% of the energy in one trophic level gets passed on to the next. The other 90% has been lost as heat or used for metabolic purposes.


cool,, hey tnx for ur ans,, it was really amazing..
chetanladdha
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:45 pm
Location: india


Postby February Beetle » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:52 pm

Navin wrote:There can only be up to 5 trophic levels in a food chain as there is insufficient energy to support any highr than that. This is because only 10% of the energy in one trophic level gets passed on to the next. The other 90% has been lost as heat or used for metabolic purposes.

Isn't it true that there could be more in an aquatic setting? I have not learned a lot about ecology but from what I have learned I think that is what my professor said, but I'm not sure.
Image

Man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. - Henry Benson
User avatar
February Beetle
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:47 am
Location: Kansas


Return to Ecology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron