Login

Join for Free!
118255 members


Question about blood types

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderator: BioTeam

Question about blood types

Postby Eamonn4 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi. After a blood type changes, is to possible to find out what the original one was?

Thanks.
Eamonn4
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Postby Darby » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:20 am

Type shouldn't change.
Darby
Viper
Viper
 
Posts: 1262
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: New York, USA

Re: Question about blood types

Postby TimW » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:28 pm

Wikipedia says that blood types do sometimes change. But I wonder if there is some test which can determine what the blood type was before the change. In my own case, I am 0 negative, but both my parents are 0 positive. I am 100% sure they are my natural parents because a) their characters rule out infidelity, and b) because I have clearly inherited features from both of them. So doesn't this mean that the blood type of one of us must have changed?
TimW
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:33 pm


Re: Question about blood types

Postby Amphibitile » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:48 pm

As far as I understand it blood types may change during infections/diseases due to suppression or expression of the antigens. However with regards to your question I believe Rhesus negative is controlled by a recessive gene. Therefore your parents are likely to be heterozygous for Rh+. By chance you have seemed to have received two Rh- genes from your parents, one from each. As a result your parents can be phenotypically Rh+ and you Rh- but still be your parents... it doesn't necessarily mean either blood type has changed.

Hopefully I can clarify with the example below:
Rhesus positive: R (to show dominance) Rhesus negative: r (to show it's recessive)

Your mother's Genotype would be Rr... the same as your father.

Rr x Rr gives 3 possibilities that you could've been: RR (25% chance), Rr (50% chance) and rr (25% chance) you by chance have inherited the latter of the 3.

I hope this helps.
Amphibitile
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:59 pm

Re: Question about blood types

Postby TimW » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:37 pm

Thank you very much. A very clear explanation. Best wishes, Tim
TimW
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:33 pm


Return to Human Biology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests