Biology-Online • View topic - "Golgi" in the cells

Join for Free!
122620 members

"Golgi" in the cells

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderator: BioTeam

"Golgi" in the cells

Postby BiohStewdent » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:31 am

I was just wondering if golgi apparatus and golgi body are the same thing. My friend told me that the golgi body is part of the apparatus but I want to just make sure.
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 am

Postby JackBean » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:33 pm

maybe the Golgi body is the central part, while Golgi apparatus refers to the whole bunch including all the sacks, vesicles etc.

Cis or trans? That's what matters.
User avatar
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
Posts: 5694
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:12 pm

Postby Jordanw21 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:19 pm

I believe the terms Golgi body and Golgi apparatus are interchangeable, along with Golgi complex. They refer to the same organelle that processes macromolecules and is part of the endomembrane system. These terms are synonyms, just as plasma membrane and phospholipid bilayer are.
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:29 pm

Return to Cell Biology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests