Login

Join for Free!
112030 members


precious metals toxicity

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderator: BioTeam

precious metals toxicity

Postby DynV » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:45 am

I'm having a hard time finding anything about precious metals toxicity that would be used as a jewel (constant direct skin contact) and though your field expertise might help as I'm yielding nothing. Specifically I'm looking for the cheapest safe metal and the only safe metals I know are silver and titanium, which aren't cheap.

A toxicity level chart would be awesome but a molecular compendium with a guide on how to find their toxicity would be sufficient.

Thank you kindly

Edit 1:

The molecular compendium would have to be through skin absorption as it's probably quite different from ingestion and injection.
User avatar
DynV
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:19 am

Postby mith » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:45 am

How can it be a jewelry type metal and also be cheap? Are you just looking for heavy metal poisons?
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr
User avatar
mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
 
Posts: 5345
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:14 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re:

Postby DynV » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:49 am

mith wrote:Are you just looking for heavy metal poisons?


Is that flaming ?

I have absolutely no technical knowledge of chemistry and much less biology, so if you're looking to make trouble, you're wasting your time as I already FAIL, so elegantly put as nerdy no lifers would qualify.

Edit 1:

Perhaps it was overreacted, not if it was flaming though ; I apologize otherwise, well no need in fact as you wouldn't be a nerdy no lifer.
User avatar
DynV
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:19 am


Postby biohazard » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:05 am

I guess steel would be one of the cheapest "safe" metals. Tin can be used afaik, but it is soft and not lustrous, so it is generally not used. Nickel, on the other hand, is often used in jewelry and it is a notorious cause of hypersensitivity in some individuals. Alloys of safe metals can also be used.

But steel probably is something that can be used even in fine jewelry if combined with gemstones or such.
User avatar
biohazard
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:45 pm

Postby jwalin » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:13 am

my my you are rude
darn rude


what do you think about wood
its not a metal anyways

and how about sea shells or
do you need metals only
it isn't what you do that matters but it is how you do it
User avatar
jwalin
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:43 pm
Location: ahmedabad, gujarat, India


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron