Login

Join for Free!
118498 members


Electric shocks, anybody??

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderator: BioTeam

Electric shocks, anybody??

Postby rosalin » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:13 am

in case a person recieves a high voltage electric shock, which organ or tissue is likely to be worst affected?
there is no element of genius without some form of madness.
User avatar
rosalin
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:30 pm

Postby MrMistery » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:28 pm

i'm guessing the heart right? Or maybe the brain?
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter
User avatar
MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
 
Posts: 6832
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: Romania(small and unimportant country)

Postby mith » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:53 pm

I'd go with heart too
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr
User avatar
mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
 
Posts: 5345
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:14 pm
Location: Nashville, TN


Postby rosalin » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:17 am

i thought of the brain too. but most of the time u see people knocked unconsious and getting CPR (in movies)
what makes U think the heart? because of the autorhythmicity or something? all i know is that the blood gets ionised and the nuerons sort of short circuit when u get a high volt shock.
there is no element of genius without some form of madness.
User avatar
rosalin
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:30 pm

Postby MrMistery » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:14 pm

the heart depends on cells to transmit their potential from one to another. If the pacemaker cells get damaged(could happen if depolarisation is induced in the refractary period) the impulse won't get from the sinoatrial node to the rest of the heart. The heart simply stops. Just a hypothesis...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter
User avatar
MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
 
Posts: 6832
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: Romania(small and unimportant country)

Postby rosalin » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:25 pm

maybe.but if the heart stops resuscitation is possible, isn't it ? in case the brain is damaged won't that be more or less permanent ?
there is no element of genius without some form of madness.
User avatar
rosalin
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:30 pm

Postby AstusAleator » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:13 pm

A lesser, but potentially hazardous effect might be the concentration of gasses and ions near the points of contact with the electrodes. These might result in blood clots or poisoning, and if in the wrong area of the body, could be serious. (all hypothetically, i'm no MD)
User avatar
AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:51 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Postby Dr.Stein » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:36 am

Because at least 80% of our body consists of water, the electric shock will be harmful to the entire part of our body because water is a good conductor, added by ionic substances inside. When a part got shocked, the stimulus will rapidly spread to the whole body.
Image
User avatar
Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 3501
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:58 am
Location: 55284 Yogyakarta, Indonesia

Postby kjle » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:37 am

Being an electrician, I've been shocked a number of times. Now we're not talking 1000's of volts, but 120 is a pretty good kick. The worst shock I've had, strangely I felt it most in my joints. Specifically my knees. I don't really know why this is.

Upon being shocked, the area that is hit, obviously has the most immediate pain. But I feel it in the joints for some time after. Also, the tissue where I get shocked feels burnt.
- disarm you with a smile

Founder of "Photography Club"
Member of "Truth-Seekers" tribe

#1 posts/day total
#8 total post count
User avatar
kjle
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 1950
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:10 am
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Postby Amrik » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:20 pm

I got a shock on my fingertip 4 - 5 days ago... it was worst then yours kyle 220v! Damn..i was shocked (obvioulsy) but it was just my fingertips nothing much The Hand jerked off imedialtely (Reflex action)
- There Is A Solution For Every Problem We Humans Have

Member of "Truth-Seekers" tribe
User avatar
Amrik
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 1607
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:59 am
Location: Bangkok, Thailand

Postby kjle » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:43 pm

Ya I've had 220, it sucks...But I usually get shocked with 120
- disarm you with a smile

Founder of "Photography Club"
Member of "Truth-Seekers" tribe

#1 posts/day total
#8 total post count
User avatar
kjle
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 1950
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:10 am
Location: Vancouver, Canada


Return to Human Biology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests