Login

Join for Free!
118888 members


Most venomous animal

Animals!

Moderator: BioTeam

Postby Skeletor Rinpoche » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:57 pm

I would have to say the most venomous animal is the box jellyfish or the new species that has just been documented, which is only the size of a human thumbnail :shock:
Skeletor Rinpoche
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:05 am

Postby Enzyme » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:52 pm

Skeletor Rinpoche wrote:I would have to say the most venomous animal is the box jellyfish or the new species that has just been documented, which is only the size of a human thumbnail :shock:


Chironex fleckeri is a box jellyfish. Box jellyfishes are included in the class Cubozoa.
    Image
    Image
    Image
User avatar
Enzyme
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:05 pm

Postby Schröder » Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:56 am

Enzyme wrote: This jellyfish has many blisters (20 000 aproximately) on its surface which contain between 1.5 and 4 ml of poison. .


:shock: :shock:
There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one from so simple a beginning.....The Origin of Species
User avatar
Schröder
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:25 pm
Location: Trinidad and Tobago


Postby Kimbits » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:58 pm

baikuza wrote:Varanus komodoensis do not have any poison. it just make infection by the bacteria or other microorganism in the mouth.


Actually that's been proven incorrect. Dr. Bryan Fry, an Australian toxicologist published a study last year documenting the presense of venom glands in Varanids and other rather surprising genera. The nasty bite of a komodo dragon was venom all along. Everyone 'knew' that monitors didn't have venom and therefore it had to be something else, so they thought it was bacteria.

You can find him and the study at http://www.venomdoc.com

Cheers
Kimbits
Kimbits
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:50 pm

Postby jimmystang » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:56 am

what about the sea scorpion?
Give me a place to stand, and I will move the Earth.
- Archimedes
User avatar
jimmystang
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:07 am
Location: Illinois (U.S.)

Postby Bugz » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:47 am

What about the bullet ant and some spieces of wasp?I mean...the Hymenoptera...
Only after the last tree has been cut down.
Only after the last river has been poisoned.
Only after the last fish has been caught.
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.
User avatar
Bugz
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Beijing, China

Postby baikuza » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:45 am

... oh, hello?

but, i do not see the statement that said komodo has venom gland... at the site you recomended...

this is the quote from http://www.komododragon.biz/KomodoDragonFactSheet
Saliva, Bacteria and Immunity

There are only two lizards considered venomous, the Beaded Lizard (Heloderma horridurn), and the Gila monster (Heloderma suspectum). Although not strictly venomous, the bite of a Komodo Dragon is not just dangerous for the physical damage the Komodo is capable of causing, it is also heavily dosed with dangerous bacteria.

Within the Komodo's saliva reside more than fifty strains of bacteria, some seven of which are highly septic and four of which have no known specific antidote. Addressed early, attacks on humans have not proven fatal when treated with broad based and powerful antibiotics. However for animals in the wild, the bite usually proves fatal as a result of infection, even if the wound itself is insufficient.

Despite the toxicity of a Komodo Dragon's bite, Komodo Dragons bitten by their own species seem unaffected by the bacteria. As a result, the Komodo makes an interesting study in terms of both the toxicity of its saliva and the impregnable nature of its immune system. Some of the zoological studies of the Komodo Dragon are focussed on this particular aspect of the Komodo Dragons make-up



after all.. i think it is not venomuos :)
baikuza
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:09 am
Location: Yogyakarta, indonesia, south-east asia

odd question

Postby bionecrology » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:59 pm

There need only be enough venom to kill the venomized. Therefore, many animals are most venomous, and the same is true of some bacteria and algae. Pragamtism has its advantages.
bionecrology
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:38 pm

Postby vk4vfx » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:42 pm

Skeletor Rinpoche wrote:I would have to say the most venomous animal is the box jellyfish or the new species that has just been documented, which is only the size of a human thumbnail :shock:


The original question is a hard one to answer, defining the difference between poisonous venomous and toxic.

To define the meaning between the two words snakes technically are not “poisonous” as a poison must be ingested orally, venom being introduced directly into the bloodstream or underlying tissue via the reptiles fangs.

Then there is "danger scores" to take into consideration also as in ....
Danger scores are used by rating five aspects of snake bite they are as follows.
1) Venom toxicity
2) Venom yield
3) Fang length
4) Temperament
5) Frequency of bite

Then you have LD50, LD50 is a measurement used in Laboratories meaning –lethal dose as in the dose of venom that will result in the deaths of 50% of the test subjects.

LD50 is expressed in Mg/ Kg per body weight the lower the toxicity number the more venomous the organism.

So, taking all the above into consideration the question can have many answers.

http://www.rense.com/general26/unknownnewspecies.htm is very interesting reading "Skeletor Rinpoche"

Stu....
vk4vfx
Death Adder
Death Adder
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:33 pm

most venomous animal

Postby tony » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:10 pm

The most venomous animal is an insect found only in the Sinai Desert called the " Afrur " which is hebrew for dirt. This insect is related to the bedbug and was discovered in 1967 after Isreal foung numerous soldiers dead on bivouac with an unknown toxin found in their blood. This insect is so venomous that it is considered 100 times more toxic than the saw-scaled viper or scorpions in the region. It is so unknown that it is extemely difficult to find any info on the web, unless you can research it through Jerusalem University. A mouse injected with cobra venom will live for about a minute to a minute and a half, the Afrur will kill it in 3 seconds! The insect injects the venom through a probosis and its venom gland is 1/3 of its body. What the hell does it eat? Why so venomous?

Tony
tony
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:55 pm

Postby WolverSyr » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:01 am

I've often wondered about this too. Unfortunately (or fortunately!) I don't think there's any definitive answer is there? I'm sure we can tell what's most dangerous to a mouse, etc, but not us. It would pretty unethical to poison people & see what happens!

Honestly though, if it kills you, it doesn't matter how poisonous it was - it did it's job.
WolverSyr
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:15 am
Location: NY

Postby arian » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:16 am

I have a quetsion.

There is a fish on Adriatic sea and if you step on it you will get a terrible painful feeling, after 10 minutes your leg will be swalled. It is no more than 3-5 cm long and it has a kind of sting on his spinal corde.
I will look forward to find the name.
arian
Death Adder
Death Adder
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:03 am

PreviousNext

Return to Zoology Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest