Login

Join for Free!
114441 members


Just a simple question about Evolution

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderator: BioTeam

Postby sachin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:43 pm

biotchr wrote:
sachin@biog wrote:More over I can see here; some People Researching on :(

Evolution of Religions Rather than organic Evolution.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


I would challenge you to elaborate as to provide some meaning in regards to your comment. Right now, it seems quite irrelevant.


See the original topic:
Just a simple question about Evolution, for an Evolutionist's point of view, what is exactly the purpose of life? Is it as simple as living out normal lives, doing the same thing day after day and then die, or is there more to that? Sorry but I'm just curious!


And see these;

biotchr wrote:

Evolution is religious and thank you for being so truthful.
Now why are we teaching YOUR religion to our kids again?
have never met anyone willing to fight over whether God, Zeus, Junos, or any other god is involved in photosynthsis or cellular respiration. I have never met a theist that was not willing to sit down and discuss the Calvin Cycle of photosynthesis with an atheist.


alextemplet wrote:
Just because religious people happen to fall for creationism doesn't make it valid. Obviously theologians don't prove evolution, but they do show how religious and scientific ideas can peacefully co-exist. Science alone proves evolution.
Then welcome to Mecca. I think most of the people here will side with me in stating that our only bias is towards truth, in that if you can show anything I have said to be untruthful, I'll concede. I'm always open to learning more, but I do require you to at least show me some complelling reason that what you say is true. I won't accept something simply because you say it.


TheRisenUndead wrote:

Well, to be honest, I'm a Christian actually and I'm just curious between this whole debate between Creation VS Evolution thing......Don't mistake my porpuse of posting this question, I'm not trying to convert you all to Christians or anything....... I'm just asking, like I said, I'm curious! I feel it isnt fair to just be judgemental and just say Evolution is wrong and the Bible is right without research.


Now thats my Explanation. :o :P
Senior Education Officer, BNHS, India. www.bnhs.org

Bitter Truth!
Who says reason for world war IV will be Petrol?
Reason lies in two words "Me and Mine".
User avatar
sachin
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 1517
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:39 pm
Location: MUMBAI / INDIA

Postby rob3 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:43 pm

Do you mean the purpose of life as regards to how life came about? If you do , I am sure that most non-creationists will agree that there was no purpose for life coming into existence; life does not "have" to exist, however, the chances are though that given the disparity that exists in the universe and the amount of time it has existed and will exist, the chances are that life will come into existence.
I think that the strongest argument for how life came to exist is stated in "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins. He outlines the idea that "replicator" molecules came into existence by chance reactions between chance reactions between the chemicals in the "chemical soup" that existed c.4 billion years ago; this is known as "soup theory". The idea is that these replicators were the ancestors our DNA.

However, once life had come into existence, its only "purpose" if such a word can be used , is to carry on existing - otherwise it would cease to exist. If life (once existent) does have a purpose, it is to replicate (reproduce) so it does not cease to exist.


***Sorry about all the "exists" I couldnt think of any other way of putting it.
User avatar
rob3
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: London

Postby Linn » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:13 pm

mith wrote:Sometimes the goal is to simply walk the path


This is true
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

~ George washington Carver
User avatar
Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 1735
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Massachusetts, USA


Postby AstusAleator » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:35 am

Well said Rob3

*insert additional space so the post is long enough for the forum...*
User avatar
AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:51 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Just a simple question about Evolution

Postby Dov Henis » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:42 pm

[quote="TheRisenUndead"]Just a simple question about Evolution, for an Evolutionist's point of view, what is exactly the purpose of life?quote]

A Humanist Answers A Religious Pen-Pal , from
http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-P81pQcU1 ... cq=1&p=185

Dear Pen-Pal,

We live on a tiny speck of dust within an infinitely immense swirl.

Life ( also a black hole? ) is a substantiation of a temporary containment of cosmic energy dilution. All forms of Earth life are thus temporary energy bubbles. We are not yet able to figure out the implications of this.

Evolution did us a disservice, endowing us with "intelligence", with the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge, causing us to perceive and explore and wonder.

Some of us, like you, feel desperately lost without an ID (Inteligent Design) or without "everything being shaped by...something". You need to subsist under some form of Providence. Your peace of mind and your reflective elation are founded on a feeling that your existence is purposed towards something vague of which it will somehow sometime become a part.

Some of us, like me, regard our cosmic circumstances, all reality, and our meagre comprehension of them as an invitation to explore and chart the infinite aspects of the evolving universe. In pursuit of this we try to fashion ourselves in accordance with what we progressively learn about the universe and about life and about ourselves.

This, in my opinion, is the difference between religious and science-based views of life.
Dov Henis
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:21 pm

Postby biofanatic » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:41 pm

DNA is not always located in the nucleus, i was taught that it is also located in the mitochondria in the cytoplasm which means we contain acquired genes from are Mothers and are passed on. As part of our genetic make up was due to an egg which contained DNA in the nucleus and also in the cytoplasm containing mitochondrial DNA which was also passed on with the egg which fused together with a sperm wich only contained DNA in the nucleus.Which means that i can pass on my "Characteristics" which i recieved from my mother from her cytoplasm and my offspring can pass on my Characteristics and so on....doesn't this refelct lamarcks theory to a certain extent?

open to any other rational explanations, suggestions, views and opinions, agreements, disagreements.
biofanatic
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:31 am

Postby Dov Henis » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:09 am

quote="TheRisenUndead"]Just a simple question about Evolution, for an Evolutionist's point of view, what is exactly the purpose of life?quote]

Purpose of life?

The things in the universe that have a purpose are things initiated and carried out by living/organisms to function for self survival, replication. Other objects or processes are not purposed ; they are simply components or parts of details of evolution.

DH
Dov Henis
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:21 pm

Postby loveangel » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:17 am

dov, are you trying to say that you are an atheist???
User avatar
loveangel
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:52 am
Location: Philippines

Postby Dov Henis » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:51 pm

loveangel wrote:dov, are you trying to say that you are an atheist???


I am not 'trying' to say it. I am saying it:

- I do believe that there is no deity, regardless of what diety is.

- And I believe that all forms of life, from in-cell genomes through mono cells and including the most complicated multicells organisms, are simply specimens of temporary bubbles of energy.

Dov
Dov Henis
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:21 pm

Postby loveangel » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:21 am

dont you even believe on the existence of God? :roll:
User avatar
loveangel
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:52 am
Location: Philippines

Postby Dov Henis » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:36 pm

loveangel wrote:dont you even believe on the existence of God? :roll:


If I believe that there is a god or that there is no god what is the importance or consequence of my belief and to whom...

The importance/consequence of such belief/disbelief that I see is persecution-hate-atrocities of people to people....

Dov
Dov Henis
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:21 pm

Postby loveangel » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:45 pm

Dov Henis wrote:If I believe that there is a god or that there is no god what is the importance or consequence of my belief and to whom...

Dov


well, and to whom and what??? :?
Last edited by JackBean on Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quotes fixed
User avatar
loveangel
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:52 am
Location: Philippines

PreviousNext

Return to Evolution

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron