Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
I had to take a biology class this semester at my college to cover an area requirement. We were given some extra credit questions for our midterm. The problem is we learned nothing about these questions and I'm having a very difficult time finding answers to these questions so I've come to this forum to see fi anyone can help.
I need the answer but also have to write WHY it is that answer.
1) If you were to add olive oil to food as a part of your diet to lower the rish of atherosclerotic disease, you would use olive oil that was:
A) liquid at room temperature
B) was hydrogenated (I know this is not it)
C) modified to be solid at room temp.
D) had lard added to it (again, no)
E) none of the above
2) The glucose produced by a plant is used to make the cabohydrate, protiens, fats, and nucliec acids of the plant. Which statement is true about the process of converting sugars into other molecules ?
A) Glucose contains all of the elements needed to produce other molecules
B) Clucose contains all the elements to produce carbohydrates, but the other elements must come from the soil if the plant is to produce the protein, fats, and nucleic acids.
C) Glucose contains all the elements needed to produce the carbohydrates and fats, but the other elements must come from the soil to produce proteins and acids.
D) Glucose contains all the elements to produce the carbohydrates and nucleic acids but the other elements must come from the soil if the plant is to produce proteins and fats
E) None of the above
3) The body uses atoms in different ways to accomplish different tasks. fr example, one portion of the bodys calcium supply strengthens bones, whereas another portion combines with proteins to stimulate blood clotting after tissue injury. Which statement below provides the most logical explination of calciums ability to perform such different actions ?
A) The bone contains calcium salts, which are less reactive then the calcium ions found in the blood.
B) The calcium in blood is a more reactive form of the atom and therefore has fewer protons in th calcium in bone.
C) There are many different isotopes of calcium, and the most reactive isotope is found in bone.
D) Calcium in blood has a lighter atomic mass then the calcium in bone and is in a more reactive form.
E) Both B and D are true.
4) Why does a wool sweater shrink perminatley when you run it through the dryer. This is speculating based on the structure of Keratin.
5) Jack used shortining and olive oil for his picnic. He left the lids off when he put te shortning and oilive oil back into his dark cupboard at room temperature. The oil spoiled but the shortning smelled okay. Speculate which molecular bonds in these substances were the starting point for the difference ?
Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
The rule is:
YOU pst YOUR answers and how yu arrive there, and what you are not sure of etc..
and THEN, we help discuss correct etc. Posting answers would be of no educational value.
Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest