Login

Join for Free!
119213 members


eating moldy food...

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderator: BioTeam

eating moldy food...

Postby Winter » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:12 am

can you get very sick from eating moldy food? I mean not purposely eating moldy food, but by accident???
"I know how exciting pillaging is," the giant said fondly, ruffling Jack's hair. "No matter how much you're tempted, just say no."
"Just say no to pillaging. You got it."

- Taken from The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (Read it!)
User avatar
Winter
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:40 am
Location: U.S.

Postby canalon » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:31 am

i hope you are doing that on purpose... But since some people are willingly going to the McDonald, I guess it could be possible :wink:

More seriously, the answer is yes and no. Yes in the sense that mouldy food is usually rotten and many things that will make you sick can be found in this kind of food. But in my experience, first you do not eat a lot and you tend to spit it quite fast, and well i never got sick (but I am not the kind of person who get easily sick). But bad luck some of the mould on food also produce toxins that are highly carcinogenic, so maybe in a few years :(
But some mouldy food like "blue cheeses" are also considered a delicacy by many people, and are indeed quite healthy. Some traditional foodstuff like the swedish Sürströming are considered safe, but you really need to be a drunk Swede to even come close to an open can of the stuff....

Patrick
User avatar
canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
 
Posts: 3909
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:46 pm
Location: Canada

Postby MrMistery » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:30 pm

Canalon wrote:But some mouldy food like "blue cheeses" are also considered a delicacy by many people, and are indeed quite healthy.
Patrick


You are so right! That cheese is a gift from god! I like dairy products very much, and it is one of my favourites. I just wish it wasn't so god damned expensive :roll:
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter
User avatar
MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
 
Posts: 6832
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: Romania(small and unimportant country)


Postby DJ » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:28 am

sorry in advance for bumping, but don't forget, even if you pick the mold you see off a piece of bread, the clear hyphae can extend all the way through the loaf, and you won't even know you're eating it. eewwww
DJ
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:54 am

Postby MrMistery » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:01 pm

That is why it is recommended that you throw out that particular bread...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter
User avatar
MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
 
Posts: 6832
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: Romania(small and unimportant country)

Postby DevGrp » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:13 pm

Yes eating mouldy food can be dangerous, Peter the Great lost 20000 men to rye flour infected with Claviceps purpurea (also known as ergot) during his invasion of Turkey in 1722.

Many fungi produce toxins see
http://www.doctorfungus.org/mycoses/env ... isease.htm

On the other hand fungi and bacteria can produce many useful products including: Beer, bread, yoghurt, beer, blue cheeses (penicillium species), Brie (non-conidia forming penicillium) Beer, antibiotics, beer, wine, beer, quorn (fusarium species) and mustn't forget BEER
DevGrp
Death Adder
Death Adder
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:32 pm
Location: UK


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests