Login

Join for Free!
112300 members


How long do a virus live?

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderator: BioTeam

How long do a virus live?

Postby steelcat » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:11 am

How long do a virus live? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
steelcat
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:52 pm

Postby canalon » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:51 pm

depends on the virus....
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)
User avatar
canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
 
Posts: 3909
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:46 pm
Location: Canada

Postby muzna » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:02 am

i think when DNA or RNA of virus get entry into the host, afterwards old virus do not remain alive, and DNA or RNA directs the synthesis of new viruses.
muzna
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:14 pm


Postby mith » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:21 pm

virus don't live, they're not alive
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr
User avatar
mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
 
Posts: 5345
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:14 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re:

Postby JackBean » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:15 pm

mith wrote:virus don't live, they're not alive

That's right, stones can divide themselves as well ;)
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.
User avatar
JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
 
Posts: 5652
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:12 pm

Postby Darwin420 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:52 pm

Mith: think out side of the box....I know a textbook will tell you that viruses aren't considered life....but that is just B.S., Viruses are just a different form of life....but nevertheless, they are living.

For example when Robert Hooke came up with a template stating that all living organisms contain particular traits, for example, they all metabolize...he was just making up these guidelines while using his primitive microscope.

Now that we have electron microscopes we are able to see a lot smaller things, and it turns out we found an organism (viruses) that don't fit all the guidelines that hooke designed a LONG TIME AGO, and since viruses don't metabolize on their own, people automatically assume it isn't life ...but it is, they are a form of life...they just don't fit under the categories someone made in the late 1600's. But that is ok, the knowledge of science grows through out the years.

Yea I said it....I am challenging the text books.
Darwin420
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:09 am

Re:

Postby choozi » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:59 pm

Darwin420 wrote:Mith: think out side of the box....I know a textbook will tell you that viruses aren't considered life....but that is just B.S., Viruses are just a different form of life....but nevertheless, they are living.

For example when Robert Hooke came up with a template stating that all living organisms contain particular traits, for example, they all metabolize...he was just making up these guidelines while using his primitive microscope.

Now that we have electron microscopes we are able to see a lot smaller things, and it turns out we found an organism (viruses) that don't fit all the guidelines that hooke designed a LONG TIME AGO, and since viruses don't metabolize on their own, people automatically assume it isn't life ...but it is, they are a form of life...they just don't fit under the categories someone made in the late 1600's. But that is ok, the knowledge of science grows through out the years.

Yea I said it....I am challenging the text books.

then can we say that any thing having nuclear material like DNA or RNA is living
choozi
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:14 pm

Postby Darwin420 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:17 pm

I feel confident in saying yes.
Darwin420
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:09 am

Re: Re:

Postby JackBean » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:18 am

choozi wrote:then can we say that any thing having nuclear material like DNA or RNA is living

then there is question, what to do with prions ;)
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.
User avatar
JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
 
Posts: 5652
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:12 pm

Postby jwalin » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:51 am

i do not know but then if we come to see of this as darwin420 says then we will have to change everything. the whole system.
who fears it. but then the basics of everything will be shaken
but i also think a virus can also be called alive. don't we call different organisms that go into hibernation alive??? so why not viruses. they go into longer hibernations until their surroundings suit them.
muzna has got a good point that slipped off my head.
but i still wonder can they becalled dead after they enter the cells. its justa method of division in which many jwalin's will be producedfrom one jwalin ( that's an example) i would prefer to call it something else i am confused???
why not call even the mitochondrias living? what about ribosomes?
i do not know the original or the exact definition of the " living organism "
help would be appreciated
if i offend someone i am sorry.
it isn't what you do that matters but it is how you do it
User avatar
jwalin
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:43 pm
Location: ahmedabad, gujarat, India

Re:

Postby jwalin » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:45 pm

jwalin wrote:but i still wonder can they becalled dead after they enter the cells. its justa method of division in which many jwalin's will be producedfrom one jwalin ( that's an example) i would prefer to call it something else i am confused???

are cells referred to as dead after they divide.
i think not then iwas right. else wrong.
please tell me if i am right or wrong.
it isn't what you do that matters but it is how you do it
User avatar
jwalin
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:43 pm
Location: ahmedabad, gujarat, India

Postby MrMistery » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:04 pm

no, and they're not referred as dead.

@darwin420, and everyone else too
Remember that living and non-living are just words, they don't impact nature at all. if you consider viruses as non-living or a different type of life, they're still the same thing. These are human conventions, so by all means consider them whatever they want. But remember that this whole living-nonliving stuff is just philosophical BS, not science, and therefore does not make any difference.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter
User avatar
MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
 
Posts: 6832
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: Romania(small and unimportant country)

Next

Return to Microbiology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron