Login

Join for Free!
118863 members


question for experts: assortative mating, adaptiveness

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderator: BioTeam

question for experts: assortative mating, adaptiveness

Postby manythings » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:00 am

Anyone who understands evolutionary studies, evo psych, or bio anthro: Can anyone think of an adaptive advantage that would associate with assortative mating in humans, especially where this concerns selection of mates that share common interests, styles, or personality features?
manythings
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:53 am

Postby alextemplet » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:27 am

One reason could be that people who enjoy each other's company or are more compatible would be more likely to stay together for longer, having more children and raising those children to adulthood.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count
User avatar
alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 5599
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:50 pm
Location: South Louisiana (aka Cajun Country)

Re:

Postby vk4vfx » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:31 am

alextemplet wrote:One reason could be that people who enjoy each other's company or are more compatible would be more likely to stay together for longer, having more children and raising those children to adulthood.


Or ask yourself this question, are humans actually meant to reproduce then move on and reproduce with another mate? why do some organisms mate, and then part company? why do others stay together for life? Genetic diversity? Security? serial monogamy should that be the way? I think it was Joan Rivers the comedian who I heard say once "Men think monogamy is a piece of timber" :D
vk4vfx
Death Adder
Death Adder
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:33 pm


Postby alextemplet » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:52 pm

I think humans are genetically hard-wired to want to mate for life. I don't think there's a single human culture that has not independently developed this practice in one form or another. That indicates to me that we have a strong instinctual need to stay with a mate for a long period of time.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count
User avatar
alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 5599
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:50 pm
Location: South Louisiana (aka Cajun Country)

Re:

Postby vk4vfx » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:30 pm

alextemplet wrote:I think humans are genetically hard-wired to want to mate for life. I don't think there's a single human culture that has not independently developed this practice in one form or another. That indicates to me that we have a strong instinctual need to stay with a mate for a long period of time.


"Genetically hard wired" yes we are certainly that but that's up to the individual, multiple wives in certain cultures still does and will remain just that its all about spreading the "love" :D maintaining genetic diversity, wives cheat on husbands and husbands cheat on wives, i think couples stay together pretty much because it is morally the right thing to do, depends on how happy you are in your relationship, if you are not then simply move on to plow more productive fields!
vk4vfx
Death Adder
Death Adder
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:33 pm

Re: Re:

Postby robsabba » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:37 pm

vk4vfx wrote:
alextemplet wrote:One reason could be that people who enjoy each other's company or are more compatible would be more likely to stay together for longer, having more children and raising those children to adulthood.


Or ask yourself this question, are humans actually meant to reproduce then move on and reproduce with another mate? why do some organisms mate, and then part company? why do others stay together for life? Genetic diversity? Security? serial monogamy should that be the way? I think it was Joan Rivers the comedian who I heard say once "Men think monogamy is a piece of timber" :D

Human babies are born very immature, primarily because our heads are so big that a more mature baby would not be able to fit its head out during birth. This results in selective pressure for bonding between mother and father so that the father will stay and help support/protect the vulnerable offspring. This would be very difficult for a mother all alone.
User avatar
robsabba
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:53 pm
Location: North Dakota State University


Return to Evolution

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests