Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
I have a few basic questions that I need answered as I dont have my text book here with me at work and i'm trying to study for a test to be taken tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
1. Which of the following molecules is believed to have been the first "hereditary"(informational) molecule?
2. The earliest life forms on the planet are thought to have resembled?
c. a small cell with a nucleus
3. Atoms are particularly stable when they contain ________ electrons in their outer most shell.
4. Electrostatic attractions holding atoms together are generally referred to as _____________ bonds
5. Which compound is a disaccharide?
6. Lipids, are by definition water ____________.
7. Which of the following represents a test cross?
a. DD X dd
b. D? X dd
c. Dd X Dd
d. D? X D?
8. The "standard" Mendelian ratio of 1:2:1 is a ______________ ratio
involving individuals that are ________________ for a particular gene.
a. phenotypic/ homozygous
b. phenotypic/ heterozygous
c. genotypic/ homozygous
d. genotypic/ heterozygous
9. In human, the gene for freckles is dominant. A woman with freckles, whose father lacked freckles, marries a man whose parents did not have freckles. The genotypes of the man and woman are, respectively,
a. FF, ff
b. ff, Ff
c. Ff, Ff
d. ff, FF
10. DNA directed RNA synthesis is referred to as
11. The portion of t-RNA molecule that "codes" for an amino acid
is referred to as the
a. aa code
12. The synthesis of ATP from ADP and inorganic phosphate:
a. creates more energy than it uses
b. is exergonic
c. is thermodynamically impossible
d. none of the above
13. Plant cells have chloroplasts and mitochondria.
14. Most bacteria are ___________.
d. all of the above
15. ALL proteins are polymers of
b. Fatty acids
d. Amino acids
16. Cellulose, starch, and glycogen are all polymers of
17. Cellulose, structural proteins, and DNA are ALL polymers.
18. Steroids can act as
b. Structural elements in membranes
c. Only "A" is correct
d. Both "A" and "B" are correct
19. Except for Hydrogen, atoms are "stable" when they have ____ electrons in their outer most shell.
20. Atoms held together by electrostatic attraction, are said to be bonded by ____________ bonds
You have access to the internet, so much more powerful.
you can get started here http://www.biology-online.org/kb/tutorials.html
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
That first question could do with some re-wording. At first I thought it was after what scientists thought was the hereditary material at first, which was protein.
"What are humans if they don't learn at University? Animals, yes."
^^One of my ex-girlfriends said that. I stress the ex part.
That's totally true. Because nobody can be sure which came first. Because face it ribosomes are made up of proteins and they use RNA so you can't be sure.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests