Login

Join for Free!
116934 members


Imperfect Design

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderator: BioTeam

Imperfect Design

Postby genovese » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:35 pm

Imperfect Design

Darwin’s theory of Evolution explains how living things adapt to changing environments over time so as to survive and procreate the species. It does not suggest that the results will turn out to be perfect. Look through any medical textbook and you will conclude that homo sapiens is far from being a perfect in design. It is these very imperfections that give strength to the theory. Intelligent design should produce perfect design, unless it has been produced by limited intelligence. The creationist theory seems to suggest that the Creator has not done his work properly – surely that cannot be so.

I am sure that many Biologists and Biochemists have ideas on how the human body could have been improved. I would like to hear some of them. As a starter, how about putting a few chloroplasts into our skin? We could eat and sunbath at the same time. We might in addition become less aggressive by being less competitive over food.
User avatar
genovese
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:56 pm

Postby mith » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:23 pm

Not just adding chloroplasts, we'll also need things like stomata and the appropriate linkages for transport of nutrients/raw materials.

I also think our defunct pheromone system could be put back to use. Makes things easier :D.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr
User avatar
mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
 
Posts: 5345
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:14 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Postby AstusAleator » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:40 pm

mith wrote:I also think our defunct pheromone system could be put back to use. Makes things easier .


hahaha

*shakes mith's hand*

well said.
What did the parasitic Candiru fish say when it finally found a host? - - "Urethra!!"
User avatar
AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:51 pm
Location: Oregon, USA


Postby alextemplet » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:51 pm

Wild ideas like that are of little value. I could propose countless such suggestions, but the simple fact is that only so much can be crammed into a body of a given size. God alone is perfect, and He is infinite; small beings like us have little chance at perfection.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count
User avatar
alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 5599
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:50 pm
Location: South Louisiana (aka Cajun Country)

Postby kotoreru » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:18 pm

Who said our pheremone system is defunct? I like to think that, when I walk into a club, I drag the opposite sex toward me with my aura of pheremones.

It only costs £10 too. ;)
"What are humans if they don't learn at University? Animals, yes."

^^One of my ex-girlfriends said that. I stress the ex part.
User avatar
kotoreru
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:25 pm
Location: London

Postby alextemplet » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:23 pm

kotoreru wrote:Who said our pheremone system is defunct? I like to think that, when I walk into a club, I drag the opposite sex toward me with my aura of pheremones.

It only costs £10 too. ;)


I flush blood into my cheeks and puff them out so they look like big red balloons.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count
User avatar
alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 5599
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:50 pm
Location: South Louisiana (aka Cajun Country)

Postby genovese » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:52 pm

Does anyone really believe that our design is perfect?

This has to be an important question for I cannot imagine how intelligent design could make errors. Unless, the design was perfect to start with but then came Darwin with his evolution and natural selection, tampered with the once perfect design and now we are suffering because of it.

If so, that could explain how to link creation with to Natural selection.
User avatar
genovese
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:56 pm

Postby AstusAleator » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:12 pm

alextemplet wrote:
kotoreru wrote:Who said our pheremone system is defunct? I like to think that, when I walk into a club, I drag the opposite sex toward me with my aura of pheremones.

It only costs £10 too. ;)


I flush blood into my cheeks and puff them out so they look like big red balloons.


Which cheeks? :wink: :shock: :oops:
What did the parasitic Candiru fish say when it finally found a host? - - "Urethra!!"
User avatar
AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:51 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Postby AstusAleator » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:23 pm

Genovese, I see that you're using this as an argument against intelligent design, but it's really not going to work. There's really no rational argument possible. Let me step into the shoes of an IDer or creationist for a second and answer your post from their POV:

"God in his infinite wisdom created all creatures as they are for His own purpose, which we can never hope to understand."

argue against that...

You see, science asks how things came to be. Creation combines the why and the how into one simple act, and leaves it at that. Funny thing being, it really doesn't describe either in any detail, rather leaving it to faith.
So trying to take "rational" or "scientific" potshots at creation or ID isn't really going to achieve anything besides getting people up in arms.

You're not challenging logic, you're challenging faith. Good luck, I say.
What did the parasitic Candiru fish say when it finally found a host? - - "Urethra!!"
User avatar
AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:51 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Postby genovese » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:55 pm

I agree with all that you say. But it does suggest to me that whatever drives "faith" must be in our genome for it to be so uncritical. Only DNA has the power to make us abandon logic.
User avatar
genovese
Coral
Coral
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:56 pm

Postby alextemplet » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:39 pm

genovese wrote:I agree with all that you say. But it does suggest to me that whatever drives "faith" must be in our genome for it to be so uncritical. Only DNA has the power to make us abandon logic.


Only DNA? :? I'm not so sure about that.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count
User avatar
alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra
 
Posts: 5599
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:50 pm
Location: South Louisiana (aka Cajun Country)

Re: Imperfect Design

Postby greeneye55582 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:56 pm

genovese wrote:Intelligent design should produce perfect design, unless it has been produced by limited intelligence.


I haven't read the rest of the responses yet....I will in a sec.
But here's my initial response.
Why should intelligent design product perfect design?
And who gets to define the rules for what's perfect and what isn't?
User avatar
greeneye55582
Garter
Garter
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:52 pm

Next

Return to Evolution

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron