Existing terrestrial laws against physical acts of trespass or breaking and entering often do not cover their “virtual” counterparts. Computer – related crime is a real expanding phenomenon. It seems very difficult to make only territorial laws applicable to online activities that have no relevant or even determinable geographic location. Web pages such as the e-commerce sites recently hit by widespread, distributed denial of service attacks may not be covered by outdated laws as protected when it attempted to prosecute the perpetrator of the May 2000 Love Bug virus, which caused billion of dollars of damage in worldwide [ 1]. In India, Information Technology Bill (1999) came into focus for regulating cyber world [ 3]
To meet the challenges posed by new kinds of crime possible by computer technology, many countries have also reviewed their respective domestic criminal laws so as to prevent computer related crimes. The legislations enacted by different countries cover only few of the classified computer related offences.
Prospective role of cyber laws
- Cyber Laws have an important role in representing and defining the norms of the cyber society.
- Cyber Laws help in giving the right to enter into legally enforceable digital contracts.
- Cyber Laws help in maintaining the Cyber properties.
- Cyber Laws help in to carry on online business.
- Cyber Laws help in providing legal reorganization for Electronic documents and Digital signature.