table of contents
The article discussed HIV transmission and possible therapeutic interventions...
Home » Biology Articles » Virology » How Do Viral and Host Factors Modulate the Sexual Transmission of HIV? Can Transmission Be Blocked? » References
- How Do Viral and Host Factors Modulate the Sexual Transmission of HIV? Can Transmission Be Blocked?
- UNAIDS/WHO (2004) AIDS epidemic update: 2004. Geneva: UNAIDS. Available: http://www.unaids.org/wad2004/EPIupdate2004_html_en/epi04_00_en.htm. Accessed 3 January 2006.
- Wawer MJ, Gray RH, Sewankambo NK, Serwadda D, Li X, et al. (2005) Rates of HIV-1 transmission per coital act, by stage of HIV-1 infection, in Rakai, Uganda. J Infect Dis 191: 1403–1409.
- Galvin SR, Cohen MS (2004) The role of sexually transmitted diseases in HIV transmission. Nat Rev Microbiol 2: 33–42.
- Coombs RW, Reichelderfer PS, Landay AL (2003) Recent observations on HIV type-1 infection in the genital tract of men and women. AIDS 17: 455–480.
- Ganesh L, Leung K, Lore K, Levin R, Panet A, et al. (2004) Infection of specific dendritic cells by CCR5-tropic human immunodeficiency virus type 1 promotes cell-mediated transmission of virus resistant to broadly neutralizing antibodies. J Virol 78: 11980–11987.
- Khanna KV, Whaley KJ, Zeitlin L, Moench TR, Mehrazar K, et al. (2002) Vaginal transmission of cell-associated HIV-1 in the mouse is blocked by a topical, membrane-modifying agent. J Clin Invest 109: 205–211.
- HIV Prevention Trials Network (2005) HPTN. 052: A randomized trial to evaluate the effectiveness of antiretroviral therapy plus HIV primary care versus HIV primary care alone to prevent the sexual transmission of HIV-1 in serodiscordant couples. Available: http://www.hptn.org/research_studies/hptn052.asp. Accessed 3 January 2006.
- Shattock RJ, Moore JP (2003) Inhibiting sexual transmission of HIV-1 infection. Nat Rev Microbiol 1: 25–34.
- Pope M, Haase AT (2003) Transmission, acute HIV-1 infection and the quest for strategies to prevent infection. Nat Med 9: 847–852.
- Auvert B, Taljaard D, Lagarde E, Sobngwi-Tambekou J, Sitta R et al. (2005) Randomized, controlled intervention trial of male circumcision for reduction of HIV infection risk: The ANRS 1265 trial. PLoS Med 2: e298 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pmed.0020298.
- Derdeyn CA, Decker JM, Bibollet-Ruche F, Mokili JL, Muldoon M, et al. (2004) Envelope-constrained neutralization-sensitive HIV-1 after heterosexual transmission. Science 303: 2019–2022.
- Chohan B, Lang D, Sagar M, Korber B, Lavreys L, et al. (2005) Selection for human immunodeficiency virus type 1 envelope glycosylation variants with shorter V1-V2 loop sequences occurs during transmission of certain genetic subtypes and may impact viral RNA levels. J Virol 79: 6528–6531.
- Frost SD, Liu Y, Pond SL, Chappey C, Wrin T, et al. (2005) Characterization of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) envelope variation and neutralizing antibody responses during transmission of HIV-1 subtype B. J Virol 79: 6523–6527.
- Koning FA, Jansen CA, Dekker J, Kaslow RA, Dukers N, et al. (2004) Correlates of resistance to HIV-1 infection in homosexual men with high-risk sexual behaviour. AIDS 18: 1117–1126.
- Koning FA, Otto SA, Hazenberg MD, Dekker L, Prins M, et al. (2005) Low-level CD4+ T cell activation is associated with low susceptibility to HIV-1 infection. J Immunol 175: 6117–6122.
- Haase AT (2005) Perils at mucosal front lines for HIV and SIV and their hosts. Nat Rev Immunol 5: 783–792.
- Miller CJ, Li Q, Abel K, Kim EY, Ma ZM, et al. (2005) Propagation and dissemination of infection after vaginal transmission of simian immunodeficiency virus. J Virol 79: 9217–9227.
- Veazey RS, Lackner AA (2004) Getting to the guts of HIV pathogenesis. J Exp Med 200: 697–700.
- Veazey RS, Springer MS, Marx PA, Dufour J, Klasse PJ, et al. (2005) Protection of macaques from vaginal SHIV challenge by an orally delivered CCR5 inhibitor. Nat Med 11: 1293–1294.
- Tsai CC, Emau P, Follis KE, Beck TW, Benveniste RE, et al. (1998) Effectiveness of postinoculation (R)-9-(2-phosphonylmethoxypropyl) adenine treatment for prevention of persistent simian immunodeficiency virus SIVmne infection depends critically on timing of initiation and duration of treatment. J Virol 72: 4265–4273.
- Kozlowski PA, Neutra MR (2003) The role of mucosal immunity in prevention of HIV transmission. Curr Mol Med 3: 217–228.
- Mestecky J, Moldoveanu Z, Russell MW (2005) Immunologic uniqueness of the genital tract: Challenge for vaccine development. Am J Reprod Immunol 53: 208–214.
- Villa LL, Costa RL, Petta CA, Andrade RP, Ault KA, et al. (2005) Prophylactic quadrivalent human papillomavirus (types 6, 11, 16, and 18) L1 virus-like particle vaccine in young women: A randomised double-blind placebo-controlled multicentre phase II efficacy trial. Lancet Oncol 6: 271–278.
- Mascola JR (2003) Defining the protective antibody response for HIV-1. Curr Mol Med 3: 209–216.
- Maher D, Wu X, Schacker T, Horbul J, Southern P (2005) HIV binding, penetration, and primary infection in human cervicovaginal tissue. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102: 11504–11509.
- Moore JP, Kitchen SG, Pugach P, Zack JA (2004) The CCR5 and CXCR4 coreceptors—Central to understanding the transmission and pathogenesis of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 20: 111–126.
rating: 3.00 from 6 votes | updated on: 8 Oct 2007 | views: 8456 |