Login

Join for Free!
118827 members
table of contents table of contents

To investigate a possible new method based on biophysical principles (scrambler therapy) …


Biology Articles » Biophysics » Untreatable Pain Resulting from Abdominal Cancer: New Hope from Biophysics? » Results

Results
- Untreatable Pain Resulting from Abdominal Cancer: New Hope from Biophysics?

During the applications, all the patients reported a very rapid (in the order of a few seconds) disappearance of the perception of pain. All patients responded fully to the protocol and none reported undesirable side effects. Compliance was excellent.

VAS trends before and after each treatment session in the cycle are reported in Figure 3. The figure shows how the baseline VAS preceding the treatment has a mean value for the whole group of over 86 points out of a maximum of 100 (maximum imaginable pain), and that this decreases rapidly after the first treatment session (P

The difference between pain intensity prior to scrambler therapy treatment (i.e. at full painkiller dosage) and baseline pain intensity in the absence of treatment at the tenth cycle (i.e. at the absence, or marked reduction, of painkilling drugs; see below) was also highly significant (-82.3±10.9; P

Another factor to be taken into account in the evaluation of painkilling treatment is the determination of the pain intensity difference (PID) in VAS scores before and after each treatment session as shown in Figure 4.

During the reference period, nine out of eleven patients (81.8%) are seen to have stopped requesting painkillers between the second and the fifth treatment session. The remaining two patients (18.2%) considerably reduced their dosage and undertook mild therapy.

Figure 5 shows the percentage of patients stratified according to the severity of pain recorded after treatment. As treatment progresses, the effectiveness of analgesia which takes place between the 2nd and the 5th treatment session increases even after the elimination (or reduction) of drugs.

In view of the possible application of the method at the patient's home, an assessment was made of how often treatment would be required to maintain optimal pain control (Figure 6). Right from the first treatment session, 7 patients (63.6%) were able to get by on a single treatment session every 24 h or more, a percentage that rose to 90.9% by the end of the cycle. The remaining patient (9.1%) is situated in a window in which an average of 2 treatment sessions are required every 24 h.


rating: 5.00 from 2 votes | updated on: 6 Dec 2007 | views: 8089 |

Rate article:







excellent!bad…