* Alcacio, T.E., D. Hesterberg, W. Zhou, J.D. Martin, S. Beauchemin, and D.E. Sayers. 2001. Molecular scale characteristics of Cu(II) bonding in goethite–humate complexes. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 65:1355–1366.
* Beauchemin, S., D. Hesterberg, and M. Beauchemin. 2002. Principal component analysis approach for modeling sulfur K-XANES spectra of humic acids. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 66:83–91
* Beauchemin, S., and R.R. Simard. 1999. Soil phosphorus saturation degree: Review of some indices and their suitability for P management in Québec, Canada. Can. J. Soil Sci. 79:615–625.
* Beauchemin, S., and R.R. Simard. 2000. Phosphorus status of intensively cropped soils of the St. Lawrence lowlands. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 64:659–670
* Beauchemin, S., R.R. Simard, and D. Cluis. 1996. Phosphorus sorption/desorption kinetics of soil under contrasting land uses. J. Environ. Qual. 25:1317–1325.
* Beauchemin, S., R.R. Simard, and D. Cluis. 1998. Forms and concentration of phosphorus in drainage water of twenty-seven tile-drained soils. J. Environ. Qual. 27:721–728.
* Bohn, H.L., B.L. McNeal, and G.A. O'Connor. 1985. Soil chemistry. 2nd ed. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
* Breeuwsma, A., J.G.A. Reijerink, and O.F. Schoumans. 1995. Impact of manure on accumulation and leaching of phosphate in areas of intensive livestock farming. p. 239–251. In K. Steele (ed.) Animal waste and the land water interface. Lewis Publ.–CRC, New York.
* Bril, J., and W. Salomons. 1990. Chemical composition of animal manure: A modelling approach. Neth. J. Agric. Sci. 38:333–351.
* Centre de Référence en Agriculture et Agroalimentaire du Québec. 2003. Reference grids for fertilization. (In French.) 1st ed. Bibliothèque nationale du Québec.
* Christoffersen, J., M.R. Christoffersen, W. Kibalczyc, and F.A. Andersen. 1989. A contribution to the understanding of the formation of calcium phosphates. J. Cryst. Growth 94:767–777.
* Condron, L.M., and K.M. Goh. 1989. Effects of long-term phosphatic fertilizer applications on amounts and forms of phosphorus in soils under irrigated pasture in New Zealand. J. Soil Sci. 40:383–395.
* Conseil des Productions Végétales du Québec. 1996. Reference grids for fertilization. 2nd ed. Agdex 540. Conseil des Productions Végétales du Québec.
* Dalas, E. 1991. The crystallization of ferric phosphate on cellulose. J. Cryst. Growth 113:140–146.
* De Haan, F.A.M., and W.H. van Riemsdijk. 1986. Behaviour of inorganic contaminants in soil. p. 19–32. In J.W. Assink and W.J. Van den Brink (ed.) Contaminated soil. M. Nijhoff, Dordrecht, the Netherlands.
* Eghball, B., G.D. Binford, and D.D. Baltensperger. 1996. Phosphorus movement and adsorption in a soil receiving long-term manure and fertilizer application. J. Environ. Qual. 25:1339–1343.
* Fendorf, S.C., and D.L. Sparks. 1996. X-ray absorption fine structure spectroscopy. p. 377–416. In D.L. Sparks (ed.) Methods of soil analysis. Part 3. SSSA Book Ser. 5. SSSA, Madison, WI.
* Franke, R., and J. Hormes. 1995. The P K-near edge absorption spectra of phosphates. Physica B (Amsterdam) 216:85–95.
* Freese, D., S.E.A.T.M. van der Zee, and W.H. van Riemsdijk. 1992. Comparison of different models for phosphate sorption as a function of the iron and aluminium oxides of soils. J. Soil Sci. 43:729–738.
* Harrison, A.F. 1987. Soil organic phosphorus. A review of world literature. CABI Publ., Wallingford, UK.
* Heckrath, G., P.C. Brookes, P.R. Poulton, and K.W.T. Goulding. 1995. Phosphorus leaching from soils containing different phosphorus concentrations in the Broadbalk experiment. J. Environ. Qual. 24:904–910.
* Hedley, M.J., J.W.B. Stewart, and B.S. Chauhan. 1982. Changes in inorganic and organic soil phosphorus fractions induced by cultivation practices and by laboratory incubations. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 46:970–976.
* Hesterberg, D., W. Zhou, K.J. Hutchison, S. Beauchemin, and D.E. Sayers. 1999. XAFS study of adsorbed and mineral forms of phosphate. J. Synchrotron Radiat. 6:636–638
* Holford, I.C.R., and G.E.G. Mattingly. 1975. The high- and low-energy phosphate adsorbing surfaces in calcareous soils. J. Soil Sci. 26:407–417.
* Hsu, P.H., and F. Sikora. 1993. Effects of aluminum and phosphate concentrations and acidity on the crystallization of variscite at 70°C. Soil Sci. 156:71–78.
* Laverdière, M.R., and A. Karam. 1984. Sorption of phosphorus by some surface soils from Quebec in relation to their properties. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 15:1215–1230.
* Leinweber, P., L. Haumaier, and W. Zech. 1997. Sequential extractions and 31P-NMR spectroscopy of phosphorus forms in animal manures, whole soils and particle-size separates from a densely populated livestock area in northwest Germany. Biol. Fertil. Soils 25:89–94.
* Li, D., G.M. Bancroft, M. Kasrai, M.E. Fleet, X.H. Feng, and K.H. Tan. 1994. High-resolution Si and P K- and L-edge XANES spectra of crystalline SiP2O7 and amorphous SiO2–P2O5. Am. Mineral. 79:785–788
* Lindsay, W.L. 1979. Chemical equilibria in soils. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
* Lindsay, W.L., P.L.G. Vlek, and S.H. Chien. 1989. Phosphate minerals. p. 1089–1130. In J.B. Dixon and S.B. Weed (ed.) Minerals in soil environments. 2nd ed. SSSA Book Ser. 1. SSSA, Madison, WI.
* Lookman, R., H. Geerts, P. Grobet, R. Merckx, and K. Vlassak. 1996. Phosphate speciation in excessively fertilized soil: A 31P and 27Al MAS NMR spectroscopy study. Eur. J. Soil Sci. 47:125–130.
* Mahapatra, I.C., and W.H. Patrick, Jr. 1969. Inorganic phosphate transformation in waterlogged soils. Soil Sci. 107:281–288.
* Malinowski, E.R. 1991. Factor analysis in chemistry. 2nd ed. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
* Manceau, A., B. Lanson, M.L. Schlegel, J.-C. Hargé, M. Musso, L. Eybert-Bédard, J.-L. Hazemann, D. Chateigner, and G.M. Lamble. 2000. Quantitative Zn speciation in smelter-contaminated soils by EXAFS spectroscopy. Am. J. Sci. 300:289–343
* Murphy, J., and J.P. Riley. 1962. A modified single solution method for the determination of phosphate in natural waters. Anal. Chim. Acta 27:31–36.
* Nielsen, H.B. 1999. Secant version of Marquardt's method for least squares. Routine SMarquardt.m. Available online at http://www.imm.dtu.dk/~hbn/Software/ (verified 16 Apr. 2002). Informatics and Mathematical Modelling, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby.
* Oh, Y.-M., D. Hesterberg, and P.V. Nelson. 1999. Comparison of phosphate adsorption on clay minerals for soilless root media. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 30:747–756.
* Okude, N., M. Nagoshi, M.H. Noro, Y. Baba, H. Yamamoto, and T.A. Sasaki. 1999. P and S K-edge XANES of transition-metal phosphates and sulfates. J. Electron Spectrosc. Relat. Phenom. 101/103:607–610.
* Pierzynski, G.M., T.J. Logan, S.J. Traina, and J.M. Bigham. 1990. Phosphorus chemistry and mineralogy in excessively fertilized soils: Quantitative analysis of phosphorus-rich particles. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 54:1576–1583.
* Pierzynski, G.M., G.F. Sims, and G.F. Vance. 1994. Soils and environmental quality. Lewis Publ., Boca Raton, FL.
* Pote, D.H., T.C. Daniel, A.N. Sharpley, P.A. Moore, Jr., D.R. Edwards, and D.J. Nichols. 1996. Relating extractable soil phosphorus to phosphorus losses in runoff. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 60:855–859.
* Ressler, T., J. Wong, J. Roos, and I.L. Smith. 2000. Quantitative speciation of Mn-bearing particulates emitted from autos burning (methylcyclopentadienyl)manganese tricarbonyl-added gasolines using XANES spectroscopy. Environ. Sci. Technol. 34:950–958.
* Rose, J., A.-M. Flank, A. Masion, J.-Y. Bottero, and P. Elmerich. 1997. Nucleation and growth mechanisms of Fe oxyhydroxide in the presence of PO4 ions. 2. P K-edge EXAFS study. Langmuir 13:1827–1834.
* Ross, G.J., and C. Wang. 1993. Extractable Al, Fe, Mn, and Si. p. 239–246. In M.R. Carter (ed.) Soil sampling and methods of analysis. Lewis Publ., Boca Raton, FL.
* Ryan, J., D. Curtin, and M.A. Cheema. 1984. Significance of iron oxides and calcium carbonate particle size in phosphate sorption by calcareous soils. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 48:74–76.
* Sayers, D.E., and B. Bunker. 1988. EXAFS data analysis. p. 211–253. In D.C. Koningsberger and R. Prins (ed.) X-ray absorption: Principles, applications, techniques of EXAFS, SEXAFS and XANES. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
* Schulze, D.G., and P.M. Bertsch. 1995. Synchrotron X-ray techniques in soil, plant, and environmental research. Adv. Agron. 55:1–66.
* Schwertmann, U., and R.M. Cornell. 1991. Iron oxides in the laboratory. VCH Publ., Weinheim, Germany.
* Scilab Group. 2002. Scilab software. Release 2.6. Available online at http://www.scilab.org (verified 16 Apr. 2003). INRIA-Rocquencourt, Metalau Project, Le Chesnay, France.
* Sharpley, A.N., T.C. Daniel, and D.R. Edwards. 1993. Phosphorus movement in the landscape. J. Prod. Agric. 6:492–500.
* Sharpley, A.N., T.C. Daniel, J.T. Sims, and D.H. Pote. 1996. Determining environmentally sound soil phosphorus levels. J. Soil Water Conserv. 51:160–166.
* Sheldrick, B.H., and C. Wang. 1993. Particle-size analysis. p. 499–517. In M.R. Carter (ed.) Soil sampling and methods of analysis. Lewis Publ., Boca Raton, FL.
* Simard, R.R., D. Cluis, G. Gangbazo, and S. Beauchemin. 1995. Phosphorus status of forest and agricultural soils from a watershed of high animal density. J. Environ. Qual. 24:1010–1017.
* Simard, R.R., D. Cluis, G. Gangbazo, and A.R. Pesant. 1994. Phosphorus sorption and desorption indices in soil. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 25:1483–1494.
* Sims, J.T., A.C. Edwards, O.F. Schoumans, and R.R. Simard. 2000. Integrating soil phosphorus testing into environmentally-based agricultural management practices. J. Environ. Qual. 29:60–71.
* Sposito, G. 1984. The surface chemistry of soils. Oxford Univ. Press, New York.
* Tiessen, H., and J.O. Moir. 1993. Total and organic carbon. p. 187–199. In M.R. Carter (ed.) Soil sampling and methods of analysis. Lewis Publ., Boca Raton, FL.
* Tisdale, S.L., W.L. Nelson, and J.D. Beaton. 1984. Soil fertility and fertilizers. 4th ed. Macmillan Publ., New York.
* Tran, T.S., and M. Giroux. 1987. Phosphorus availability in neutral and calcareous soils of Quebec as related to their chemical and physical characteristics. (In French, with English abstract.) Can J. Soil Sci. 67:1–16.
* Tran, T.S., and R.R. Simard. 1993. Mehlich III–extractable elements. p. 43–49. In M.R. Carter (ed.) Soil sampling and methods of analysis. Lewis Publ., Boca Raton, FL.
* Vairavamurthy, A., B. Manowitz, W. Zhou, and Y. Jeon. 1994. Determination of hydrogen sulfide oxidation products by sulfur K-edge X-ray absorption spectroscopy. p. 412–430. In C.N. Alpers and D.W. Blowes (ed.) Environmental geochemistry of sulfide oxidation. ACS Symp. Ser. 550. Am. Chem. Soc., Washington, DC.
* Van der Zee, S.E.A.T.M., and W.H. van Riemsdijk. 1986. Sorption kinetics and transport of phosphate in sandy soil. Geoderma 38:293–309.
* Wasserman, S.R. 1997. The analysis of mixtures: Application of principal component analysis to XAS spectra. J. Phys. IV 7:C2-203 to C2-205.