1. Myers DG. Diener E. The pursuit of happiness. Sci Am. 1996;273:70–72.
2. Diener, E. Lucas, RE. Oishi, S. Subjective well-being: the science of happiness and life satisfaction. In: Snyder CR, Lopez SJ. , editors. Handbook of positive psychology. New York: Oxford University Press; 2002. pp. 63–73.
3. Huppert FA. Whittington JE. Evidence for the independence of positive and negative well-being: implications for quality of life assessment. Br J Health Psychol. 2003;8:107–122.
4. Seligman, M. Authentic happiness: using the new positive psychology to realize your potential for lasting fulfillment. New York: Free Press; 2002.
5. Kendell RE. The choice of diagnostic criteria for biological research. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1982;39:1334–1339.
6. Cloninger CR. Svrakic DM. Przybeck TR. A psychobiological model of temperament and character. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1993;50:975–990.
7. Cloninger, CR. Cloninger, CR. Feeling good: the science of well being. New York: Oxford University Press; 2004.
8. Murray CJL, Lopez AD. , editors. A comprehensive assessment of mortality and disability from diseases, injuries, and risk factors in 1990 and projected to 2020. Cambridge: Harvard University Press; 1996.
9. Walsh BT. Seidman SN. Sysko R, et al. Placebo responses in studies of major depression: variable, substantial, and growing. JAMA. 2002;287:1840–1847.
10. Fava GA. Rafanelli C. Grandi S, et al. Prevention of recurrent depression with cognitive behavioral therapy: preliminary findings. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1998;55:816–820.
11. Johnson BA. Roache JD. Javors MA, et al. Ondansetron for reduction of drinking among biologically predisposed alcoholic patients: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2000;284:963–971.
12. Feinn R. Kranzler HR. Does effect size in naltrexone trials for alcohol dependence differ for single-site vs. multi-center studies. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2005;29:983–988.
13. Lieberman JA. Stroup TS. McEvoy JP, et al. Effectiveness of antipsychotic drugs in patients with chronic schizophrenia. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:1209–1223.
14. Fava GA. Ruini C. Rafanelli C, et al. Well-being therapy of generalized anxiety disorder. Psychother Psychosom. 2005;74:26–30.
15. Fava GA. Ravanelli C. Cazzaro M, et al. Well-being therapy: a novel psychotherapeutic approach for residual symptoms of affective disorders. Psychol Med. 1998;28:475–480.
16. D'Souza RF. Rodrigo A. Spiritually augmented cognitive behavioral therapy. Australasian Psychiatry. 2004;12:148–152.
17. Emmons RA. McCullough ME. Counting blessings versus burdens: an experimental investigation of gratitude and subjective well-being in daily life. J Person Soc Psychol. 2003;84:377–389.
18. Cloninger CR. Svrakic DM. Integrative psychobiological approach to psychiatric assessment and treatment. Psychiatry. 1997;60:120–141.
19. Farmer A. Mahmood A. Redman K, et al. A sib-pair study of the Temperament and Character Inventory in major depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003;60:490–496.
20. Tome MB. Cloninger CR. Watson JP, et al. Serotonergic autoreceptor blockade in the reduction of antidepressant latency: personality and response to paroxetine and pindolol. J Affect Disord. 1997;44:101–109.
21. Cloninger CR. A practical way to diagnose personality disorder: a proposal. J Person Disord. 2000;14:99–108.
22. Bulik CM. Sullivan PF. Joyce PR, et al. Predictors of 1-year treatment outcome in bulimia nervosa. Compr Psychiatry. 1998;39:206–214.
23. Burns, DD. Feeling good: the new mood therapy. New York: Morrow; 1980.
24. Beck, AT. Freeman, A. Cognitive therapy of personality disorders. New York: Guilford; 1990.
25. Beck, AT. Beyond belief: a theory of modes, personality, and psychopathology. In: Salkovskis PM. , editor. Frontiers of cognitive therapy. New York: Guilford; 1996. pp. 1–25.
26. Teasdale JD. Moore RG. Hayhurst H, et al. Metacognitive awareness and prevention of relapse in depression: empirical evidence. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2002;70:275–287.
27. Teasdale JD. Segal ZV. Williams JM, et al. Prevention of relapse/recurrence in major depression by mindfulness-based cognitive therapy. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2000;68:615–623.
28. Ma SH. Teasdale JD. Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy for depression: replication and exploration of differential relapse prevention effects. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2004;72:31–40.
29. Chalmers, DJ. The conscious mind: in search of a fundamental theory. New York: Oxford University Press; 1996.
30. Kandel, ER. Schwartz, JH. Jessell, TM. Principles of neural science. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2000.
31. Frankl, VE. Man's search for meaning: an introduction to logotherapy. New York: Simon and Schuster; 1959.
32. Frankl, VE. The unheard cry for meaning: psychotherapy and humanism. New York: Pocket Books; 1978.
33. Linehan, MM. Cognitive-behavioral treatment of borderline personality disorder. New York: Guilford; 1993.
34. Vaillant GE. Milofsky E. Natural history of male psychological health: IX. Empirical evidence for Erikson's model of the life cycle. Am J Psychiatry. 1980;137:1348–1359