table of contents
Human cerebral cortex, human cerebellum, and chimpanzee cortex each undergo different patterns …
Biology Articles » Zoology » Primatology » Aging and Gene Expression in the Primate Brain » References
- Aging and Gene Expression in the Primate Brain
- Pearl R (1928) The rate of living London: University of London Press. 185 p.
- Harman D (1956) Aging: A theory based on free radical and radiation chemistry. J. Gerontol 2:298–300.
- Beckman KB, Ames BN (1998) The free radical theory of aging matures. Physiol Rev 78:547–581.
- Hekimi S, Guarente L (2003) Genetics and the specificity of the aging process. Science 299:1351–1354.
- Hughes KA, Reynolds RM (2005) Evolutionary and mechanistic theories of aging. Annu Rev Entomol 50:421–445.
- Stadtman ER (2001) Protein oxidation in aging and age-related diseases. Ann N Y Acad Sci 928:22–38.
- Lu T, Pan Y, Kao SY, Li C, Kohane I (2004) Gene regulation and DNA damage in the ageing human brain. Nature 429:883–891.
- Ghosh R, Mitchell DL (1999) Effect of oxidative DNA damage in promoter elements on transcription factor binding. Nucleic Acids Res 27:3213–3218.
- Marietta C, Gulam H, Brooks PJ (2002) A single 8,5′-cyclo-2′-deoxyadenosine lesion in a TATA box prevents binding of the TATA binding protein and strongly reduces transcription in vivo. DNA Repair 1:967–975.
- Brooks PJ, Wise DS, Berry DA, Kosmoski JV, Smerdon MJ (2000) The oxidative DNA lesion 8,5′-(S)-cyclo-2′-deoxyadenosine is repaired by the nucleotide excision repair pathway and blocks gene expression in mammalian cells. J Biol Chem 275:22355–22362.
- Corral-Debrinski M, Horton T, Lott MT, Shoffner JM, Beal MF (1992) Mitochondrial DNA deletions in human brain: Regional variability and increase with advanced age. Nat Genet 2:324–329.
- Mecocci P, MacGarvey U, Kaufman AE, Koontz D, Shoffner JM (1993) Oxidative damage to mitochondrial DNA shows marked age-dependent increases in human brain. Ann Neurol 34:609–616.
- Rose MR (1991) The evolutionary biology of aging Oxford (United Kingdom): Oxford University Press. 240 p.
- McCarroll SA, Murphy CT, Pletcher SD, Chin CS, Jan YN (2004) Comparing genomic expression patterns across species identified shared transcriptional profile in aging. Nat Genet 36:197–204.
- Welle S, Brooks A, Thornton CA (2001) Senescence-related changes in gene expression in muscle: Similarities and differences between mice and men. Physiol Genomics 5:67–73.
- Enard W, Khaitovich P, Klose J, Zollner S, Heissig F (2002) Intra- and interspecific variation in primate gene expression patterns. Science 296:340–343.
- Dorus S, Vallender EJ, Evans PD, Anderson JR, Gilbert SL (2004) Accelerated evolution of nervous system genes in the origin of Homo sapiens. Cell 199:1027–1040.
- Emerit J, Edeas M, Bricaire F (2003) Neurodegenerative diseases and oxidative stress. Biomed Pharmacother 58:39–46.
- Khaitovich P, Muetzel B, She X, Lachmann M, Hellmann I (2004) Regional patterns of gene expression in human and chimpanzee brains. Genome Res 14:1462–1473.
- Evans SJ, Choudary PV, Vawter MP, Li J, Meador-Woodruff JH (2003) DNA microarray analysis of functionally discrete human brain regions reveals divergent transcriptional profiles. Neurobiol Dis 14:240–250.
- Benjamini Y, Hochberg Y (1995) Controlling the false discovery rate: A practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. J R Stat Soc Ser B 57:289–300.
- Uddin M, Wildman DE, Liu G, Xu W, Johnson RM (2004) Sister grouping of chimpanzees and humans as revealed by genome-wide phylogenetic analysis of brain gene expression profiles. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:2957–2962.
- Caceres M, Lachuer J, Zapala MA, Redmond JC, Kudo L (2003) Elevated gene expression levels distinguish human from non-human primate brains. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:13030–13035.
- Sakaki Y, Watanabe H, Taylor T, Hattori M, Fujiyama A (2003) Human versus chimpanzee chromosome-wide sequence comparison and its evolutionary implication. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol 68:455–460.
- Sakamoto S, Ishii K (1999) Low cerebral glucose extraction rates in the human medial temporal cortex and cerebellum. J Neurol Sci 172:41–48.
- Bentourkia M, Bol A, Ivanoiu A, Labar D, Sibomana M (2000) Comparison of regional cerebral blood flow and glucose metabolism in the normal brain: Effect of aging. J Neurol Sci 181:19–28.
- Noda A, Ohba H, Kakiuchi T, Futatsubashi M, Tsukada H (2002) Age-related changes in cerebral blood flow and glucose metabolism in conscious rhesus monkeys. Brain Res 936:76–81.
- Evans MD, Cooke MS (2004) Factors contributing to the outcome of oxidative damage to nucleic acids. Bioessays 26:533–542.
- Enard W, Fassbender A, Model F, Adorjan P, Pääbo S (2004) Differences in DNA methylation patterns between humans and chimpanzees. Curr Biol 14:R148–R149.
- Ptak SE, Hinds DA, Koehler K, Nickel B, Patil N (2005) Fine-scale recombination patterns differ between chimpanzees and humans. Nat Genet 37:429–434.
- Winckler W, Myers SR, Richter DJ, Onofrio RC, McDonald GJ (2005) Comparison of fine-scale recombination rates in humans and chimpanzees. Science 308:107–111.
- Lee CK, Weindruch R, Prolla TA (2000) Gene-expression profile of the ageing brain in mice. Nat Genet 25:294–297.
- Rodwell GE, Sonu R, Zahn JM, Lund J, Wilhelmy J (2004) A transcriptional profile of aging in the human kidney. PLoS Biology 2:e427.
- Li JZ, Vawter MP, Walsh DM, Tomita H, Evans SJ (2004) Systematic changes in gene expression in postmortem human brains associated with tissue pH and terminal medical conditions. Hum Mol Genet 13:609–616.
- Tomita H, Vawter MP, Walsh DM, Evans SJ, Choudary PV (2004) Effect of agonal and postmortem factors on gene expression profile: Quality control in microarray analyses of postmortem human brain. Biol Psychiatry 55:346–352.
- Bolstad BM, Irizarry RA, Astrand M, Speed TP (2003) A comparison of normalization methods for high density oligonucleotide array data based on bias and variance. Bioinformatics 19:185–193.
rating: 0.00 from 0 votes | updated on: 24 Oct 2007 | views: 5828 |